Milan Lucic

Big trouble in Boston: Canadiens beat Bruins 3-1, take a 2-0 series lead home to Montreal


There’s trouble in Boston.

The Bruins put together another lackluster effort and were outworked and outplayed by the Montreal Canadiens again in Game 2 leading to a 3-1 win for Montreal. With the win, the Habs take a 2-0 lead in the series as it now shifts back to Montreal for Games 3 and 4.

Without Zdeno Chara in the lineup due to dehydration, the omens for a bad game mounted immediately for Boston. The way the game started didn’t help matters either as Montreal scored just 43 seconds into the game as Mike Cammalleri picked up a rebound and beat Tim Thomas (23 saves). Just over a minute and a half later, Mathieu Darche made it 2-0 scoring on the power play. The Habs wouldn’t look back from there as Carey Price made 34 saves allowing just a second period goal to Patrice Bergeron to beat him. Yannick Weber scored late in the second to provide the deciding marker as they would swallow up the Bruins offense the rest of the way.

For Boston, they’re going through the same problems they faced in the three losses they had against Montreal during the regular season. Those problems are also the same ones Montreal gave to Washington and Pittsburgh in last year’s playoffs. This time around, Montreal is adding a new and infuriating element to their game: Shot blocks. The Habs blocked 27 shots tonight to help keep the Bruins offense away from Carey Price.  When they did get shots on Price, he was doing things like this to rob the Bruins of goals.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

The Canadiens defensive structure and adherence to the game plan are clearly frustrating the Bruins and they seem to be at a loss for answers on how to solve it. With a team that occasionally struggles scoring goals in the first place, having a team that goes all out to defend face off against them can create major problems like this.

The part that’s concerning is that the Bruins haven’t found a way to respond in kind. Sitting back and taking what Montreal gives them isn’t going to win the Bruins any games and is leading the cries around Boston to have coach Claude Julien to have his job security questioned in a  big way. If the Bruins don’t have any answers on Monday night in Game 3, they’re going to find their season on the brink of ending in a very loud thud very soon.

Versus analysts Keith Jones and Jeremy Roenick broke down Montreal’s great performance and Boston’s night of failure.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
Leave a comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”



Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.