Peter Laviolette, Paul Holmgren

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren holds closed door meeting, gives team ‘that look’

1 Comment

Obviously, the Philadelphia Flyers are in a more comfortable spot today than they were around this time last year. Yet in an odd way, last season’s team might have had more confidence – or at least more momentum – even though they were fighting for their playoff lives while the 2010-11 edition have been a sure thing for quite some time.

With a mediocre 3-4-3 mark in their last 10 games and losses in 13 of their last 19, the Flyers keep meandering through the last days of the regular season, a slump that will likely force them out of the top seed in the East. They might even lose their grasp on the Atlantic Division title, too, because the Pittsburgh Penguins only trail them by one point with both teams having two games left. (Although the Flyers hold the tiebreaker advantage, so it’s more like a two point lead.)

The Flyers didn’t get to where they are by floating through tough times, so it’s no surprise that their imposing general manager Paul Holmgren decided to hold a closed door meeting with the team. CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that players said the meeting was very business-like, although Scott Hartnell provided this amusing quip.

“Paul Holmgren can be a scary guy,” said Scott Hartnell. “Especially, when he gives you that look.”

This post’s main image provides a great example of “that look” even if it was proudly more intense since cameras weren’t focused on his face. (It’s OK if you flashed back to your worst P.E./high school sports memories because of that photo, by the way.)

Veteran defenseman Sean O’Donnell gave a more descriptive explanation of the meeting, though.

“It was productive,” Sean O’Donnell said. “Everyone wants to get on the right page. This is a game, but it is also a business. They’ve invested a lot in this team and we have a good team here.

“We have all the pieces. It’s a matter of getting everyone on the right page to go through a run here in April, May and June. It was very productive. It wasn’t bad or calling anyone out, it was, ‘guys let’s wake up here.’ ”

Obviously, being properly motivated will be important to Philadelphia’s success, so don’t be surprised if they play better hockey in the playoffs. At the same time, they cannot assume that they can take a “light switch” approach to preparing for the big games.

Then again, the most obvious way to improve is to add Chris Pronger back into the mix, though. Panaccio reports that Pronger still isn’t sure if he will be ready for the team’s first playoff game, but also seemed to be in a jovial mood today.

If opposing teams know anything, it’s that a happy Pronger often means an unhappy opponent. In a way, it’s the opposite of “that look” from Holmgren.

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.