When Ottawa GM Bryan Murray cleaned house leading up to and on the day of the trade deadline, the one acquisition he made that seemed curious at the time was his deal that sent goalie Brian Elliott to Colorado in favor of goalie Craig Anderson. After all, Anderson was set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and the Senators have young phenom goalie Robin Lehner waiting in the wings. It appeared that the future was to be Lehner’s to seize and the Senators were finally starting to rebuild.
Turns out, Anderson is the guy they liked a lot. A whole lot. They like him so much they rewarded the 29 year-old veteran with a four-year extension worth $12.75 million. If this strikes you as curious, you’re not alone but Murray says that locking up Anderson makes sense for them.
“We feel he’s brought stability. The position is one that we need if you’re going to retool, rebuild and improve this hockey club going forward.” said Murray. “Craig has stepped in on our team to play the way we think we have to play. With that secure building block, now we can address some other issues.
“He was a guy that we felt we had a chance to sign. The numbers made sense for us.”
Keep in mind here that Anderson has played for the Senators for less than a month now and while he’s played great, considering how poorly he was playing while in Colorado this year this kind of commitment leaves us a bit dumbfounded. Don’t get us wrong, Anderson can be a tremendous goalie, as evidenced by his Vezina Trophy finalist season with the Avalanche last year, but a four-year deal is huge for a guy that’s been an NHL starter now for just two seasons.
Murray says that he wants Lehner to spend next season in the AHL to continue developing and that’s all well and good but if he develops rapidly and becomes an NHL-ready goalie sooner than expected, what then? Having a goalie with a cap hit of $3.18 million per year that’s either riding the bench or splitting time evenly is a tremendous waste of money. Trying to trade a guy like that is even more difficult to do in the cap era.
It’s a fascinating move by Ottawa who appears to be mostly committed to changing things around with the roster there but if this is a sign for what’s to come in the offseason in regards to free agency, perhaps Senators fans will want to hang on to their butts and hope this is the only questionable contract that gets done for the future.
Alex Galchenyuk has been one of the Montreal Canadiens best players this season and entered play on Friday night with nine goals in his first 23 games.
In the first period against the San Jose Sharks he had himself in a great position to score goal No. 10 when he had a wide open look right in front of the net.
Sharks goalie Martin Jones, however, had other ideas and absolutely robbed the Canadiens’ star forward.
Have a look.
Jones took over as the Sharks’ starting goaltender a year ago after he was acquired in an offseason trade with the Boston Bruins. He was a key piece in their run to the Stanley Cup Final.
He has been on quite a run for the Sharks over the past couple of weeks and entered play on Friday having allowed just six goals in his past five starts.
The Ottawa Senators were without forward Bobby Ryan during their 3-2 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday due to a hand injury that he aggravated on Tuesday against Buffalo. That injury resulted in him being placed on injured reserve by the team, which means he will miss at least the next two games, and potentially more.
On Friday, Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said the team received some positive news regarding Ryan’s injury and that it is possible he could accompany the team on its upcoming four-game road trip that begins on Monday in Pittsburgh. But he will still not be eligible to return until Wednesday when the team visits the San Jose Sharks.
That means he will be sidelined for Saturday’s home game against Florida as well as Monday’s game against the Penguins.
Dorion said on Friday, via NHL.com, that there is a 50-50 chance he accompanies the team on the upcoming road trip that also includes games against the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks.
“I’ve got to give Bobby a lot of credit. People don’t know how many injuries he’s played through here, getting his hand frozen and playing through pain,” Dorion said via NHL.com.
Ryan initially injured his finger back on Nov. 17 against Nashville, forcing him to miss the next two games. After returning to the lineup he eventually had to leave Tuesday’s game against Buffalo.
After scoring 24 goals for the Senators a year ago he has just three goals and five assists in 21 games this season.
The Senators are 14-8-2 and in second place in the Atlantic Division, four points behind the Montreal Canadiens.
The Buffalo Sabres announced on Friday evening that they have called up defenseman Brendan Guhle from the Prince George Cougars of the WHL on an emergency basis.
Guhle, a second-round pick (No. 51 overall) by the Sabres in 2015, had impressed in Sabres training camp the past two years but just missed out on making the roster each time. He missed making the team in 2015 in large part because of a concussion after he was hit by Dion Phaneuf.
He did end up playing six games for the Rochester Americans in the American Hockey League a year ago, scoring a goal and adding three assists.
Before his call-up on Friday he had spent the first part of the 2016-17 season playing in the WHL for Prince George as well as the Prince Albert Raiders (he was acquired by Prince George on Nov. 19).
In 19 games between the two teams he has five goals and two assists.
The Sabres needed to call up a defenseman because veteran Josh Gorges was injured on Thursday night in the team’s win over the New York Rangers when he was hit in the foot by a shot.
He had x-rays on Friday and the team is expected to offer some sort of an update on his status on Saturday. In 23 games this season for the Sabres, Gorges has no goals and one assist.
What really hurts for Sabres at the moment is they are already playing without defenseman Dmitry Kulikov and Zach Bogosian due to injury.
The Sabres host the Boston Bruins on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. ET.
The NHLPA has rejected a proposal from the National Hockey League to extend the current collective bargaining agreement by three years in exchange for participation in the 2018 Olympics, according to reports from the Associated Press and Canadian Press.v
The NHL’s participation in the 2018 games in Pyeongchang remains in doubt, mostly due to the cost of insurance and other expenses that go with sending players. In the past, those expenses have been handled by the IOC and IIHF but they are reluctant to foot the bill for the 2018 games.
In recent weeks the NHL presented the NHLPA with an opportunity to participate in the 2018 Olympics in exchange for extending the current CBA through the year 2025, while also eliminating an opt-out clause that exists in 2019.
It was expected that the NHLPA would not be willing to accept that offer from the league.
On Friday, IOC president Thomas Bach said it is in the best interest of all parties for NHL players to participate in the 2018 games, telling the Olympic Channel “all the rational arguments are speaking in favor of participation.”
There is a January deadline set for participation in 2018.
Back in September NHL deputy commissioner said it is possible the NHL could skip the 2018 games and then return for 2022 in Beijing.
NHL players have participated in the past five Olympics dating back to the 1998 games in Nagano, Japan.
There seems to be a desire among the players to participate. Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin, for example, has repeatedly said he plans on playing whether the NHL goes or not.