When Max Pacioretty was diagnosed with a broken neck and a severe concussion following the brutal hit he took from Zdeno Chara last week it was assumed the Pacioretty would miss the rest of the season and the playoffs thanks to the injuries.
Obviously we know that hockey players seem to be tougher than us regular puny humans, but the news today that Pacioretty is aiming towards returning to action during the playoffs is stunning and surprising no matter what. Canadiens coach Jacques Martin says that while things looked bleak before, they’re getting better quickly.
Team doctors informed the coach that Pacioretty will be able to resume training, with contact, in three to five weeks.
He is to take complete rest until March 26 and then begin rehab.
“It looked for a moment that his career was in danger so it’s good news that he’ll be able to get back to practice,” said Martin.
With that sort of time frame, that means Pacioretty is on an even quicker pace to returning to action than Marc Savard was last year when he came back from his hit delivered by Matt Cooke that gave him a concussion. Obviously we’re not doctors here nor are we even paramedics with a degree from an website that was delivered written in crayon, but you’ll have to forgive us if we’re just a little bit wary of how quickly he’s trying to come back from this.
We discussed it a bit yesterday how coming back quickly from head injuries did nothing to help both Savard and Philadelphia’s Ian Laperriere. Given how serious Pacioretty’s injury was reported to be it would seem prudent to us that taking as much time as needed to come back would be the right move. We’re not the player here and we don’t know what it’s like to deal with such injuries so perhaps our skepticism is unwarranted.
Perhaps former Michigan Wolverine Max Pacioretty lives up to being a Wolverine in the most comic book hero-like senses when it comes to recovering from injury, but we’re nervous for him and we’re hopeful that the doctors and the Habs are wise about this. The last thing anyone needs to see is another brutal setback and potentially career-ruining injury because a guy wanted to get back on the ice sooner than he should have. If it turns out that it’s the right move for him, it’s a wonderful story and makes him a marvel of modern science.
Cancel Danny DeKeyser‘s arbitration hearing on Thursday; it won’t be required.
DeKeyser has agreed on a six-year, $30 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings. The 26-year-old defenseman is now locked up through 2021-22.
Next up for GM Ken Holland is goalie Petr Mrazek‘s arbitration hearing tomorrow. That hearing, which came at the club’s request, may actually be necessary.
DeKeyser’s deal, on the other hand, always seemed like it would be the easier of the two to get done via negotiation.
“The player and the club both know what the range would be on a one-year deal,” Holland said recently, per the Detroit Free Press. “We continue to have conversation on a longer-term deal. I’m comfortable we can avoid the process. Danny is Detroit born, he’s happy with his role, happy to be a Red Wing. We are happy with his play.”
DeKeyser had eight goals and 12 assists in 78 games last season, while logging an average ice time of 21:48. As an NHLer, he’s proven why he was such a highly sought-after college free agent, and his new contract reflects that.
The Rangers inked one of their better young blueline prospects on Monday, agreeing to terms with Sergey Zborovskiy on a three-year, entry-level deal.
Zborovskiy, 19, was New York’s third-round pick (79th) overall at the 2015 draft, a selection acquired as part of the Cam Talbot trade to Edmonton. He’s spent the last two seasons with WHL Regina, racking up eight goals and 25 points in 64 games last season.
At 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds, Zborovskiy has good size, one of the reasons the Rangers were high on him.
Per TVA, the Russian rearguard signed a deal that will pay $633,000 annually at the NHL level. Zborovskiy is expected to return to junior next year.
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) Forward Stefan Noesen has agreed to a one-year contract to stay with the Anaheim Ducks.
Anaheim confirmed the two-way deal Monday.
Noesen (NAY-sun) appeared in one game in each of the past two seasons for the Ducks, who acquired him from Ottawa in 2013.
The 2011 first-round pick by the Senators has spent most of the past three seasons in the AHL with Anaheim’s affiliates in Norfolk and San Diego. He scored 32 points in 65 games for the Gulls last season.
The 23-year-old Texas native’s pro career has been hindered by two major injuries. He missed practically all of the 2013-14 season with torn ligaments in his left knee, and he missed four months of the 2014-15 season after an opponent’s skate blade nearly severed his right Achilles tendon.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Twitter will live stream for free one Major League Baseball game and one NHL game per week under a new deal.
The agreement announced Monday will allow viewers to watch games nationally that would normally be available only in the two teams’ home markets. Users will not need to be logged into Twitter to see the games.
The baseball games will also be available outside the U.S., with some exceptions. Twitter did not announce the game schedule Monday.
The social media network is attempting to move into live sports streaming through “over-the-top” broadcasts, which do not require a cable subscription. In April, Twitter reached a deal with the NFL to stream 10 “Thursday Night Football” games this fall.