Brad Richards

Brad Richards after today’s skate: ‘I’m a Dallas Star’

Earlier today, we discussed rumors that Dallas Stars center Brad Richards would only accept a trade to the New York Rangers. When discussing rumors, it’s important to note that there can be rumblings of something happening even if an event never comes to fruition.

Either way, the slow movement in the market, potential problems caused by his no-trade clause and the Stars’ rumored high asking price indicate that the odds might be on Richards remaining in Dallas. Again, it’s not a guarantee, but that seems to be the way the general consensus is flowing with a couple hours to go (keep in mind that deals sometimes clog the news pipeline in the deadline’s waning moments).

One important factor that makes a confounding situation that much more complex is the fact that Richards has been dealing with concussion issues. Richards missed six games so far with the problem, but he worked out once again Monday. Mike Heika caught up with Richards after his morning skate, gathering his thoughts on his recovery. We’ll focus on how he feels about the trade rumors and his general future with the Stars, though.

Here’s Richards on whether he wants to stay or not:

“I’m a Dallas Star. These are my friends; these are my teammates. There’s no one on my side demanding anything or trying to do anything. I do understand, though, that Joe needs to do a job. He’s got to look out for what’s best for the franchise. That’s the business we’re in and it happens all the time. There’s no hard feelings. It still doesn’t mean I’ll waive my no-trade, but I told them all along that if he has something, I’ll look at it and try to make a decision on it.”

When asked if he has turned down an offer from the Stars, he said (I think he means owner when he says GM, but it does speak to the uncertainty of what could happen with a new owner):

“There’s nothing that has gained any traction or would change my stance on what we’ve said all along. Until I kind of see what’s going on here and who’s going to be the GM, who’s going to be running the team. There are a lot of questions. I have the right in the situation I’m in to ask those questions and I’m going to keep asking them. There’s no change here. I know people want to read more into it and they think there’s more to it, but there’s not. It’s gone this long and we’re this close to the summer. So seeing who’s going to be in charge of this makes sense to me in what I want to do.”

Well, there you go. Honestly, it would be a little surprising to see a player as important as Richards go with such little time remaining. Still, you never know. Richards has been open about the fact that he wants the Stars to clear up their ownership issues, so perhaps it’ll all work out in the long run. We shall see.

NHL confirms ’17 Draft for Chicago, an ‘ideal setting’

CHICAGO, IL - JUNE 18:  Owner and Chairman Rocky Wirtz of the Chicago Blackhawks prepares to speak to the crowd during the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Championship Rally at Soldier Field on June 18, 2015 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Well, it’s official — the NHL Entry Draft is coming to the Windy City for the first time.

On Thursday, the league announced that Chicago and the United Center would play hosts to the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, marking the first time in league history the ‘Hawks organization has hosted the event.

“The energy and passion Chicago has for the Blackhawks makes United Center the ideal setting for the 2017 NHL Draft,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. “The Draft will be one of the central moments of our Centennial, and the NHL family is looking forward to bringing this signature event to Chicago for the first time.”

Though it’s still far off — heck, the 2016 draft, which will be held in Buffalo this June, hasn’t even happened yet — the ’17 draft already has a few key names attached to it.

Chief among them is WHL Brandon forward Nolan Patrick, the son of ex-NHLer Steve Patrick.

Nolan, 17, scored 56 points in 55 games for the Wheat Kings in his first full campaign, capturing the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy as the WHL’s rookie of the year.

He’s expected to be one of the top players selected in ’17, as is Timothy Liljegren, a defenseman currently plying his trade with Rogle in the Swedish Hockey League.

Leafs and Coyotes headline Craig Button’s list of top NHL-affiliated prospects

TORONTO, ON - JANUARY 2:  William Nylander #21 of Team Sweden is stopped by Ville Husso #30 of Team Finland during a quarter-final game in the 2015 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship at the Air Canada Centre on January 2, 2015 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
Getty
Leave a comment

Maple Leafs and Coyotes featured prominently on Craig Button’s list of the top 50 NHL-affiliated prospects.

Button, the former Calgary GM whose current title is TSN’s Director of Scouting, has two Leafs forwards — William Nylander (1st) and Mitch Marner (6th) — and two Coyotes forwards — Dylan Strome (2nd) and Christian Dvorak (3rd) — in his top six.

Flyers defensive prospect Ivan Provorov is fourth, with Jets forward Kyle Connor fifth.

Click here to read the other 44 youngsters that made the cut.

One of them is Jimmy Vesey (8th), the Harvard scoring sensation the Predators need to sign by August, otherwise he can become a free agent.

Goalie nods: Ducks give red-hot Andersen second straight start

Corey Perry, Frederik Andersen
5 Comments

Bruce Boudreau has one of those “problems you like to have” in Anaheim.

Much of his club’s recent surge is due to excellent play from both netminders — John Gibson and Frederik Andersen — but after alternating starts for the last five games, Boudreau will give Andersen his second straight nod when the Ducks take on the Jackets in Columbus.

The Danish netminder is full value for consecutive starts. Andersen made 28 saves and allowed just one goal in a win over Philadelphia last time out and has been on fire over his last six games, going a perfect 6-0-0 with a 1.67 GAA and .941 save percentage.

“We just wanted to change the rotation a little bit,” Boudreau said of tonight’s starting goalie choice, per the O.C. Register. “Gibby’s done really good against Chicago and Vancouver and Freddie’s done really good against Edmonton, Calgary. He played an outstanding game last game and I thought he deserved this game tonight.”

Anaheim is in the midst of a lengthy seven-game road swing. After tonight’s game, the Ducks take on the ‘Hawks, Oilers and Flames before wrapping the trip in Vancouver on Feb. 18.

For Columbus, Joonas Korpisalo starts in goal.

Elsewhere…

— Looks as though Jhonas Enroth gets the nod in Brooklyn with Jonathan Quick banged up. The Isles are going with Thomas Greiss, who has emerged as one of the NHL’s top backup netminders this year.

Robin Lehner goes for the Sabres in Philly tonight. Steve Mason will make his sixth straight start, and Michal Neuvirth will resume backup duties after being activated from IR.

Semyon Varlamov‘s expected to be in goal for the Avs tonight when they take on the Sens. Ottawa will go with Andrew Hammond after Craig Anderson started against Detroit last night.

— Minnesota is going back to Devan Dubnyk, tonight, who has lost nine in a row (0-8-1) with a 3.32 GAA and .881 save percentage over that time. Washington will start Braden Holtby.

Tuukka Rask versus Connor Hellebuyck as the Bruins take on the Jets.

— Dallas looks like it’ll go back to Kari Lehtonen after his strong effort in Tuesday’s win over the Wild. Chicago, unsurprisingly, is sticking with its workhorse No. 1, Corey Crawford.

— Toronto’s switching things up and going with Jonathan Bernier as its road swing continues in Edmonton. The Oilers are going with Cam Talbot, one day after sending Anders Nilsson to the minors.

Karri Ramo versus Alex Stalock tonight in San Jose.

Subban out of hospital and ‘doing well’ after surgery to repair fractured larynx

2012 NHL Entry Draft - Portraits
Getty
1 Comment

The Boston Bruins have provided another update on goalie Malcolm Subban, who suffered a fractured larynx Saturday when he was struck in the throat with a puck during an AHL game in Portland:

“Malcolm underwent successful surgery on February 8 at Mass Eye & Ear Hospital in Boston to repair his larynx fracture. He is doing well and has been released from the hospital. While there is no definitive timetable for his return at this time, he is expected to be out a minimum of eight weeks.”

Subban, 22, was the 24th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Related: Malcolm Subban feels he’s ‘taken a huge step forward’ from last year