Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malki

Pittsburgh Penguins still in the dark about Sidney Crosby’s concussion problems, with no timetable for his return


With injuries to Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and even surprisingly effective youngster Mark Letestu – a trio that produced a whopping 34.8 percent of the Pittsburgh Penguins offense – the team must learn to play with a tiny margin of error.

While the Penguins sport a more aggressive, attacking group of defensemen from the blue line, one wonders if the team’s current state gives Ray Shero flashbacks to his days as the assistant general for the Nashville Predators. The team is now low on marquee offensive talent but long on quality from the blue line, talent in net and effort from its forward groups.

Pittsburgh might need to live with that formula for some time, as there is no timetable for Crosby’s return. In fact, the team hasn’t ruled out the possibility of Crosby missing both the remainder of the season and playoffs because of the mysterious nature of post-concussion syndrome.

Multiple sources said over the weekend that Crosby would not resume normal exercise activity for seven to 10 days, and that the Penguins do not expect him to play against until at least March.

Nobody within Crosby’s camp has ruled out the possibility he could miss the remainder of this season, including the playoffs – but only because recovery from concussions is impossible to predict.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero said “nothing has changed” regarding the status of Crosby, who is not symptom free and remains cleared for only light exercise.

If the Pens learn anything from the Boston Bruins’ fiasco with Marc Savard, it’s that they should handle Crosby’s concussion problems with kid gloves. Even if it costs them what looked like a promising season.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
Leave a comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”



Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.