Bruins fans’ worst fears were confirmed today when GM Peter Chiarelli and team physician Dr. Peter Asnis announced today that star center Marc Savard would miss the remainder of the regular season as well as the playoffs thanks to the concussion he suffered two weeks ago against Colorado.
A sad and scared-looking Savard spoke with reporters today at a press conference in Boston to discuss his latest situation and it’s eerily similar to what he dealt with last March after his concussion against the Penguins thanks to Matt Cooke’s disgusting blow to the head.
“Still some headaches off and on,” said Savard, who appeared pale, tired, and withdrawn during a 23-minute press conference at TD Garden. “I think the thing that scares me the most are little memory things, where I forget that I’ve asked someone a question, or little things like that that scare me. The odd dizzy stuff, so that’s also something that worries me.”
Savard went on to say that he blacked out briefly after the hit he took from Matt Hunwick that put him on the shelf for the year but he doesn’t hold anything against Hunwick for the hit. Savard says he’s heard from Hunwick a couple of times since the hit and he’s apologized for what happened. As for what Savard will do now, he says he’ll spend more time with his family at home now and travel from there to Boston to keep up with the team and get treatment. For now, rest and no stress is what Savard will be doing to try and alleviate his concussion symptoms.
The Bruins are placing Savard on long-term injured reserve which gives the B’s salary cap relief for the amount of Savard’s contract meaning they can add just over $4 million more in salary to get someone to fill out their ranks. Whether or not the Bruins will make adding another forward a priority over addressing their defensive woes remains to be seen, but Chiarelli knows that finding someone of Savard’s capability will be nearly impossible to do.
For now, youngster Zach Hamill will get a chance to play some with the Bruins and try to keep things going positively with the big club. He’s got big shoes to try and fill and if things don’t go well there, the pressure will be amped up on Chiarelli to make a move to help the Bruins down the stretch.
‘If he was in Toronto, there’d be no Carey Price, media-wise’ – Boudreau on Dubnyk
While his 11-6-3 record won’t blow anyone’s mind, his 1.65 GAA and .946 save percentage are jaw-dropping. With Dubnyk doing special things, Bruce Boudreau felt the need to say weird things* after Dubnyk helped the Wild beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-2 on Wednesday.
“If he was in Toronto, there would be no Carey Price … I’m just saying media-wise,” Boudreau said after the game, as you can see in this video:
Even if Dubnyk was in a bigger market, there’d probably be room in our hockey thoughts for Dubnyk and the consensus best goalie in the world, but Boudreau’s larger point is taken: Dubnyk has been right there with the best early on this season.
And, let’s be honest, we shouldn’t be too hard on Boudreau or he might stop saying … well, things like this:
Boudreau: "I told the guys, 'It may not look it, but my insides are really happy right now.'" #mnwild
It’s difficult to tell just how big of a headache this might be, but SBNation‘s Mary Clarke uncovered quite the eyebrow-raiser on Wednesday: the Vegas Golden Knights’ trademark request was rejected by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
You can read the 164-page document here (if you’re weird), but the gist is that “registration of the applied-for mark is refused because of a likelihood of confusion with the mark” used by the College of Saint Rose Golden Knights.
Clarke summarized it simply enough:
Essentially, the logos and stylizations are too similar. It’s baffling the NHL and Vegas didn’t go through the trademark process before announcing the name and logo last month. Yet, all is not lost. Later down, the document states the Black Knight Sports and Entertainment group “may respond to the refusal by submitting evidence and arguments in support of registration.”
Sports Illustrated’s Alex Prewitt received this release from the Vegas Golden Knights, which indicated that they will respond to the refusal (and also noted how teams like the Boston Bruins and UCLA Bruins share names without issues).
It wasn’t pretty, and they might have lost key defenseman Matt Niskanento injury, but at least the Washington Capitals managed a win against the Boston Bruins.
For a while, it was looking pretty ugly.
After going up 3-0, the Capitals went more than a period’s worth of time without even managing a shot on goal. Whether you lean more toward giving the Bruins credit for fighting back or beating up the Capitals for “sitting on a lead,” it’s staggering that such a dangerous offense could be held in check for so long.
Luckily for Washington, Nicklas Backstrom salvaged the night with an overtime goal to give the Capitals a 4-3 overtime win.
Both teams have had a knack for extending games beyond regulation lately, by the way:
Capitals over the last three games:
Shootout loss to the Lightning
Overtime win against the Sabres
Overtime win tonight against the Bruins
Bruins over the last five games:
Shootout loss against Flyers
Shootout win against Hurricanes
Regulation win against Sabres
Overtime win against Panthers
Overtime loss to the Capitals
Maybe that’s what gets it done in 2016-17: finding ways to carve out wins and shake out rough patches, like the Caps did tonight.
Matt Niskanen injured by Patrice Bergeron boarding hit
The Capitals consider Niskanen “probable” to return to Wednesday’s game against the Boston Bruins with what they’re calling an upper-body injury. Bergeron received a two-minute boarding penalty for the infraction.
(Check out video of the hit above.)
The Capitals’ Twitter acknowledged the brewing bad feelings.