Boston Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs

Report: Marc Savard’s season might be over

1 Comment

I must admit that after hearing that Marc Savard experienced another concussion after a clean hit by Matt Hunwick, my first thought wasn’t if Savard’s season might be over. My gut reaction was that maybe it might be time to take Savard’s life into consideration and ask him to contemplate retirement.

That Hunwick hit gave him the fourth concussion of his NHL career and his second in 10 months, a troubling number as more data about head injuries filters through.

Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston reports that Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli admitted that the team already had some discussions about ending Savard’s 2010-11 season.

It’s not a done deal yet as Chiarelli said that Savard will be re-evaluated on Wednesday, but moving him to the long-term injured reserve seems like a very realistic option.

“With the time between concussions, and with the severity of the concussion [last March], and the time between when he basically stopped having concussion symptoms, [shutting him down] is certainly something you would have to consider,” Chiarelli said.

Savard suffered his most recent concussion on Jan. 22 against the Avalanche in Colorado when his head hit the bottom of the glass after a clean hit by former teammate Matt Hunwick. In fact, it was the second such hit he suffered in a week’s time after he was hit by Penguins defenseman Deryk Engelland early in the third period on Jan. 15 at TD Garden.

Prior to last weekend’s All-Star break, the team decided to send him home to rest before bringing him back to Boston this week.

“There is a possibility [of shutting Savard down], but nothing has been done and you have to see how Marc is,” Chiarelli said. “Anytime you suffer a concussion, after having a severe concussion and the symptoms that he had, it is a possibility.”

Savard sat out the first 23 games of the season dealing with symptoms related to the concussion he suffered due to that Matt Cooke hit. Even when he came back, he didn’t seem like himself. He only registered 10 points in the 25 games he played this season, with a paltry -7 rating.

There is a silver lining for the team as a whole, though. If the team puts Savard on the LTIR, they can use that cap space (Savard boasts an annual cap hit of a bit more than $4 million) to bolster their lineup. The chances of the Bruins getting a rental player who is better than a healthy Savard are slim, but they might at least be able to improve their odds if the team shuts him down for the season.

Canucks have reportedly been told they’re out of the running for NCAA free agent Caggiula (Updated)

TAMPA, FLORIDA - APRIL 09:  Drake Caggiula #9 of the North Dakota Fighting Hawks celebrates his goal in the third period against the Quinnipiac Bobcats during the championship game of the 2016 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championships at Amalie Arena on April 9, 2016 in Tampa, Florida.The North Dakota Fighting Hawks defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats 5-1 to win the national title.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

Less than a week after falling two places to fifth in the NHL draft lottery, the Vancouver Canucks have reportedly received more bad news: NCAA free agent forward Drake Caggiula will not be signing in Vancouver.

That’s according to reports from TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman on Friday. Not only are the Canucks supposedly out of the running, but so, too, are the Ottawa Senators, according to Friedman.

It was suggested earlier in the day that the Canucks could be front-runners for Caggiula, who played at North Dakota with Vancouver’s 2015 first-round pick Brock Boeser and recent college signing Troy Stecher.

Update:

Video: Bad blood continues as Islanders get after Bishop and the Lightning

Leave a comment

The ill will between the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning has continued early in Game 4 on Friday.

It started with a scuffle in front of the Tampa Bay net after Islanders forward Steve Bernier fell over Ben Bishop, appearing to push downward with his stick as the Lightning goalie covered the puck.

Anxious few seconds there for the Lightning, as Bishop, appearing to favor the back of his head, was slow to get back to his skates. He has remained in the game.

The Islanders, needing a win to even the series, broke through for the game’s opening goal. Kyle Okposo ripped a shot from the slot that beat Bishop on the glove side late in the ensuing power play following the aforementioned heated gathering.

Related: WATCH LIVE: Lightning and Islanders — Game 4

WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Islanders – Game 4

NEW YORK, NY - MAY 03: Thomas Greiss #1 of the New York Islanders makes the save against the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Second Round during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Barclays Center on May 03, 2016 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. The Lightning defeated the Islanders 5-4 in overtime.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

There is only one game on the playoff schedule tonight, but it’s a crucial Game 4 between the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning. The Islanders are looking to even the series at two games apiece before it shifts back to Tampa Bay for Game 5.

You can catch Game 4 between the Lightning and Islanders on NBCSN (7 p.m. ET) or online with the NBC Sports’ Live Extra.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE

Here are some links to check out for tonight’s game:

Isles need ‘a short memory,’ can’t get hung up on Game 3 disappointment

Andreychuk confident that Stamkos will re-sign in Tampa Bay

No hearings scheduled for Boyle on Hickey hit, or Hickey on Drouin hit

 

Oilers apologize to former player who is, in fact, ‘alive and well’

EDMONTON, AB - APRIL 6:  Longtime Oilers dressing room attendant Joey Moss, along with former Oilers Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky, watch as a banner is lowered from the rafters during the closing ceremonies at Rexall Place following the game between the Edmonton Oilers and the Vancouver Canucks on April 6, 2016 at Rexall Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The game was the final game the Oilers played at Rexall Place before moving to Rogers Place next season. (Photo by Codie McLachlan/Getty Images)
Getty Images
5 Comments

In an emotional farewell ceremony to Edmonton’s Rexall Place last month, organizers somehow overlooked one rather significant detail about a former WHA player.

We will let the Oilers explain:

Oilers Entertainment Group would like to issue a formal apology to former Edmonton Oiler (WHA) Roger Cote and his family. In a special segment during the Farewell Rexall Place Night on April 6, 2016, the organization honoured members of the Oilers Alumni who have unfortunately passed on. In an extreme oversight and error, we included Mr. Cote in that portion of the program. Roger is alive and well, living in Garson, Ontario. For this action and any confusion or pain it caused Mr. Cote and his family and friends, we sincerely apologize.

In addition to recognizing the error and issuing an apology, the Oilers added that they will be hosting Cote and his son at a game at Rogers Place next season.

Cote played two seasons for Edmonton during the WHA days.

The ceremony following the final game at Rexall Place involved more than 150 Oilers alumni members, staff and special guests, as well as current members of the organization, according to the Oilers.