laterfoppa

Remember that possible Peter Forsberg MODO/NHL comeback? It’s over

While many people react to Peter Forsberg’s many comeback attempts with their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks, those aborted returns should also carry an air of sadness.

That’s because – for all of his injury issues and the embellishing tendency that earned him the sarcastic nickname “Floppa” – he was one of the most captivating hockey talents of the ’90s. A lack of longevity kept him from putting up Joe Sakic-type numbers over the long haul, but surely Colorado Avalanche fans got into some fun debates about which center was better.

The gifted playmaker was attempting another comeback this year, even if it seemed a little desperate. Well, it looks like that pipe dream fizzled out once again, and this could be the last time. TSN reports that MODO general manager Markus Naslund (yes, that Markus Naslund) passed along word that Forsberg’s return bid is over.

According to a story on hockeyespressen.se, Forsberg missed a practice with MODO as the team prepared for a Sunday tilt with AIK. The story said that Forsberg left a message with MODO, which was translated to read: “There will be no comeback – the foot is not for games.”

MODO general manager and former NHLer Markus Naslund confirmed that Forsberg’s comeback attempt was over.

“I’ve had a talk with him today and he simply says that it does not feel good enough for him to build on this,” Naslund said in the translated Swedish report. “It’s not an issue, and it’s important for us to put the cards on the table now so we can get some peace and quiet (around) the team.”

The 36-year old Forsberg has not played in the NHL since a nine-game stint with the Colorado Avalanche in the 2007-08 season. He has battled injury concerns throughout his illustrious career, and a recurring foot injury limited him to just 23 games last year with MODO of the Swedish Elite League.

The Philadelphia Flyers and Colorado Avalanche often found ways to make it work with the injury-prone pivot, but even those two teams couldn’t allow nostalgia (and admittedly still-impressive productivity in those fleeting healthy periods) override common sense.

It would be a real shame if his career ended this way, but at least he wouldn’t retire with any regrets about leaving anything on the table. Let’s try to focus on the good times for Forsberg, rather than his health issues.

Then again, he’s still only 36 years old, so maybe it’s not over after all? He probably should end it, but it’s his choice if he wants to keep trying. My guess is that he might finally be done, though.

Frustrated by disallowed winner, Sharks coach calls goalie interference rule ‘clear as mud’

Leave a comment

The San Jose Sharks would’ve had a 3-1 series lead, if not for the referees’s decision to disallow Joe Pavelski‘s overtime goal last night in Nashville.

Instead, the Sharks are headed back to San Jose tied, 2-2, after Mike Fisher won Game 4 for the Predators in triple OT.

Not surprisingly, what happened last night didn’t sit too well with Sharks head coach Pete DeBoer, who offered a rather sardonic opinion of the referee’s decision — a decision that was upheld upon review — to disallow Pavelski’s goal due to “incidental contact” with Nashville netminder Pekka Rinne.

“I don’t understand. I guess incidental contact is you’re cross-checked from behind while you are in the air and you have the opportunity to stop. I guess that’s what it is,” DeBoer said, per Sportsnet.

“You know what? That rule has been clear as mud to every coach in the league all year, so why should it be different tonight?”

DeBoer is not wrong that there’s been confusion. What actually constitutes goalie interference has been a hot topic since the league allowed coaches to challenge it.

For the record, here’s what would’ve been reviewed last night:

 

b) Scoring Plays Involving Potential “Interference on the Goalkeeper”

(ii) A play that results in a “NO GOAL” call on the ice despite the puck having entered the net, where the on-ice Officials have determined that the attacking team was guilty of “Interference on the Goalkeeper” but where the attacking team asserts: (i) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by an attacking Player with the goalkeeper; or (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper; or (iii) the attacking Player’s positioning within the goal crease did not impair the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal and, in fact, had no discernible impact on the play.

So, based on that, it was decided that Pavelski was not “pushed” or “shoved” into Rinne by Nashville’s Paul Gaustad. Or, at the very least, it was decided that Pavelski, after he was pushed, failed to make a “reasonable effort” to avoid contact with the goalie.

 

Obviously, that’s not how DeBoer saw it. He didn’t think Pavelski had a chance to avoid crashing into Rinne.

Regardless, the Sharks will need to put last night behind them and get focused on Saturday’s Game 5. It’s a best-of-three to get to the Western Conference Final now, whether they like it or not. 

Avs lose another to Europe, as Everberg signs in Sweden

Dennis Everberg, Jason Pominville
AP
Leave a comment

Just four days after Joey Hishon signed with KHL club Jokerit, another Colorado player has inked overseas — on Friday, SHL club Vaxjo announced it had agreed to terms with Dennis Everberg.

Everberg, 24, appeared in 70 games over the last two seasons with the Avs. His best effort came during the ’14-15 campaign, when he scored three goals and 12 points in 55 games.

Last year, he was largely phased out of the Avalanche lineup — appearing in just 15 contests — and spent most of his time in AHL San Antonio (where, to his credit, he played well, scoring 40 points in 54 games.)

Signed as an undrafted free agent two years ago, Everberg will now return to the same league in which he first made a name for himself. The 6-foot-4, 205-pounder had played for SHL club Rogle prior to coming to North America.

Both Everberg and Hishon were set to become RFAs on July 1, and neither seemed as though they had a long-term future with the club.

As such, these departures can’t come as a big shock.

Pens want Cullen to return next season

NEWARK, NJ - NOVEMBER 14: Matt Cullen #7 of the Pittsburgh Penguins skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on November 14, 2015 in Newark, New Jersey. The Devils shut out the Penguins 4-0.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Matt Cullen is oldest active player in this year’s playoffs, an achievement unto itself.

But the 39-year-old seemingly isn’t content with just being the resident greybeard. He’s playing at a pretty high level.

He’s racked up five points through nine games, averaging 15:22 TOI per night, and has become a real thorn in Washington’s side.

How thorny? To the point where, after Game 4, Caps head coach Barry Trotz acknowledged Cullen’s “having a hell of a series against us,” per Sportsnet.

Cullen will have a chance to extend his postseason on Saturday, when the Pens look to eliminate the Caps — but his GM is thinking about extending things well beyond these playoffs.

More, from Sportsnet:

[Cullen] has his own three sons running around the Penguins dressing room after games, and they’re old enough to experience and enjoy this playoff run, too.

The natural question is what happens next? [Pens GM Jim] Rutherford believes he’ll still be good at age 40 – “I do want him to return, but we’ll deal with that at the appropriate time” – although Cullen seems somewhat less certain about his future.

As good as he’s played and is playing, it’s not out of the question we’re watching his final games.

Cullen played this season on a one-year, $800,000 deal, which ranks among Rutherford’s best moves of the campaign. He appeared in all 82 games, scoring 16 goals and 32 points, and finished second to Sidney Crosby in faceoffs won.

Looking ahead, though, it’s fair to suggest this could be his swan song, as Pittsburgh is pretty loaded at center. Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Eric Fehr and Nick Bonino are all fairly entrenched — and under contract — and it looks like young Oscar Sundqvist is ready to push for a spot as well.

There’s always the possibility of going to free agency, though that seems the least likely route for Cullen.

Report: It ‘looks like’ Sens prospect White will return to Boston College

Colin White, center, poses with Ottawa Senators executives after being chosen 21st overall by the Senators, during the first round of the NHL hockey draft, Friday, June 26, 2015, in Sunrise, Fla. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)
AP
1 Comment

Since losing to Quinnipiac in the Frozen Four, the Boston College Eagles have also lost a bunch of their best players.

Those who made the decision to turn pro include Alex Tuch (Wild), Adam Gilmour (Wild), Miles Wood (Devils), Steve Santini (Devils), and Hobey Baker finalist Thatcher Demko (Canucks).

The good news for B.C. is that Colin White probably won’t be part of the exodus. According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, it “looks like” White will return for his sophomore season after scoring 43 points in 37 games as a freshman.

White, 19, was drafted 21st overall by the Ottawa Senators last summer. He said last month that turning pro had “definitely” crossed his mind, but then he also said, “Definitely, B.C. is a great place.”