Lightning injury news: Simon Gagne’s status still unclear, Steve Downie should play tonight

For the second year in a row, a seemingly shrewd forward pickup seems like it’s backfiring for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Last season, free agent acquisition Alex Tanguay floundered in Florida, scoring four less points (37) in a 80-game 2009-10 campaign than he had in a 50 games in 08-09. This time around, another French Canadian addition is struggling, as Simon Gagne cannot seem to find his feet after being traded from the Philadelphia Flyers.

First, he was snake-bitten; he managed exactly zero points in six games with a pitiful -8 rating even as the Lightning started the season with a quick-strike offense. Now he cannot even get back on the ice as the oft-injured forward is dealing with “mysterious” neck problems, according to Joe Smith of Tampa Bay.com.

The news seems pretty cloudy at this point, although the good news is that the injury doesn’t appear to be related to the concussion problems that plagued Gagne throughout his career.

Gagne, who has missed the last seven games while on injured reserve, said he’s feeling better, but is “still not quite where I want to be.” Gagne has seen several doctors, including local neurologist Ed Grant, and said the good news was that tests appeared to show there isn’t anything wrong with his brain, nor are their symptoms stemming from his last concussion a few years ago. But the hardest part is that he can’t pinpoint the exact injury he suffered when he got hit hard into the boards against the Islanders Oct. 21.

“We’re still not quite sure what’s going on,” he said. “That’s why we’re trying to be really careful.  We want to make sure we know what we’re dealing with.”

Head athletic trainer Tommy Mulligan said the next step is a nerve conduction test today to make sure the nerve patterns are properly coming out of the neck. Mulligan said an MRI of Gagne’s cervical spine showed some fluid in the back of his neck, but they believe that’s from an old injury while Gagne was with Philadelphia, and not a cause for his current symptoms.

For now, Gagne has been riding the stationary bike and getting treatment, hoping to find an answer. He said his neck is still stiff, and Mulligan said there is some vision issues related to Gagne’s focus when he’s moving his head from one position to another.

It’s a real shame, too, because Gagne is an explosive player when healthy. He’s in a contract year, so the injury must bother him quite a bit to keep him off the ice.

So, the bad news is that Gagne is on the shelf indefinitely. The good news is that Steve Downie – a player whose tendency to deliver dirty hits overshadows his considerable grit and offensive talent – will fight through back problems to stay in the Lightning lineup.

He’s a valuable energy/toughness element in the Steve Stamkos-Martin St. Louis line, so Tampa Bay won’t feel too bad that he insists on playing through the pain.

Blue Jackets sign Boston University product Somerby to entry-level deal

Getty
Leave a comment

The Columbus Blue Jackets made a deal Monday, signing defenseman Doyle Somerby.

Originally selected by the New York Islanders, 125th overall in 2012, Somerby played his last four seasons with Boston University. Now 23 years old, Somerby decided to keep his options open following his senior year and test the free agent market last week, prior to inking a two-year entry-level contract with Columbus.

“It almost doesn’t make sense not to talk to everybody,” Somerby’s agent Brett Peterson told the Boston Globe.

“You’re drafted when you’re 17½ with no say who picks you. If you choose to complete your college career, you have that right. That’s just the way the market is. They have a lot of defensive prospects in New York. So that’s how we landed at this.”

And now he’s landed with the Blue Jackets organization, which had a franchise record 2016-17 season and boasts a crop of good, young players, the most notable on the blue line being Seth Jones and Zach Werenski.

Somerby scored five goals and 13 points as a junior at Boston University, marking his most productive collegiate campaign. At 6-foot-5 tall and 223 pounds, he brings size on the blue line but has been regarded as more of a stay-at-home defenseman, and reliable in his own end.

“He’s so difficult to get around,” Boston University associate head coach Steve Greeley told The Daily Free Press. “Below the dots, he’s always pushing … He plays physical, he plays hard and he’s a kid that’s really tough to play against.”

Looking to make the leap: Josh Ho-Sang

Getty Images
Leave a comment

This post is part of Islanders Day on PHT…

The New York Islanders made something of a gamble when they selected Josh Ho-Sang with the 28th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and now that bet could start to pay off handsomely.

Even before Ho-Sang was drafted he was attracting quite a bit of attention. He had the tools to be a big offensive threat, but there were concerns about his attitude.

“I don’t think it’s from unfair labels, it’s from stuff that I’ve done,” he told the Windsor Star back in June 2014. He later added, “I’ve just not done certain things the proper way. That’s just all part of maturity, so if that’s going to hurt me in the draft, that’s something that I’m accepting of, because that’s all me. It’s something that’s a part of growing up.”

Those statements of acknowledgment can be seen as encouraging, but the warning signs continued as he showed up late for the first day of training camp in 2015 and the Islanders addressed it by immediately returning him to the OHL. Fortunately since then there has been more encouraging news about Ho-Sang.

He went pro in 2016-17 and had an strong season in both the AHL and NHL. With the Islanders he scored four goals and 10 points in 21 contests while getting a solid 16:27 minutes per game. That left an impression on Islanders coach Doug Weight.

“Josh was great,” Weight said. “We were getting feedback from [Bridgeport coach Brent Thompson] about his attitude down there, and he was playing hard, learning the system and played with some passion. I think he showed that when he came up.”

Ho-Sang’s spot on the Islanders still isn’t guaranteed, but he’s put himself in a position where it’s very plausible that he’ll be part of the team’s opening game roster. If he plays well he could end up being a significant presence on the club throughout the season.

All the while he might be making the case that the Islanders’ gamble has turned into a steal.

Beauchemin signs on for third stint with Ducks (Updated)

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Francois Beauchemin will once again be playing for the Anaheim Ducks, according to TVA Sports and Renaud Lavoie.

Updated: The Ducks have since confirmed a one-year deal for Beauchemin.

The contract reportedly comes with a base salary of $1 million and the potential to earn roughly $500,000 more in performance bonuses.

This would be Beauchemin’s third stint with the team. He played with Anaheim for parts of four campaigns from 2005-06 through 2008-09. Along the way he averaged a staggering 30:33 minutes per game in the playoffs during the Ducks’ 2007 championship run. His second stint with the club spanned parts of five seasons from 2010-11 through 2014-15. As was the case during his previous run, Beauchemin was a workhorse and in the 2013 lockout shortened season he also finished fourth in the Norris Trophy vote.

Beauchemin spent the last two seasons with Colorado. Although he’s 37-years-old now, Beauchemin has only missed one game over the last two seasons and still averaged 21:31 minutes in 2016-17.

Despite that, Colorado decided to buy him out this summer, which freed up a protected list spot for the expansion draft and created an opening for the club’s younger defensemen as the Avalanche focus on rebuilding.

Given that defensemen Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen might start the season on the sidelines, adding another blueliner capable of serving in a top-four role like Beauchemin has the potential to be a big boost for the Ducks.

Gaborik unlikely to be ready for start of training camp

Getty Images
4 Comments

Marian Gaborik‘s recovery from a non-surgical procedure to address his “chronic” knee issue will likely bleed into training camp.

“He’s progressing pretty well from the summer,” Kings GM Rob Blake told LA Kings Insider. “He still has some difficulty with some of the lifts and the strength. We’re probably not sure if we’ll see him in training camp right away, but again, he’s a guy that trains at a very high level and he’s made a commitment to stay in L.A. after he got married, get the rehab back on course. We’re hopeful he can get back to the level that he started last season and the World Cup at.”

Gaborik has been an elite scorer at times during his career, but injuries have been a recurring issue for him. Over the past four seasons he’s played in 220 of a possible 328 contests and he’s been limited to 43 points in 110 games over the last two campaigns.

That’s particularly worrying given that the 35-year-old forward still has four seasons left on his seven-year contract worth roughly $34 million. At the same time a bounce back campaign out of Gaborik would go a long way towards addressing the offensive woes Los Angeles endured in 2016-17.