While we’ve seen Niklas Hjalmarsson return from his suspension for hitting Sabres forward Jason Pominville already, Pominville is still in the process of getting back into game shape to play once again. Pominville was knocked out of the game and out of the Sabres lineup by Hjalmarsson with a concussion, and getting back on the ice after that can be an arduous process.
For Jason Pominville, he’s at least happy to get back to working out to get back on the ice and discuss what happened the night he was hit from behind with The Buffalo News’ John Vogl as well as about his recovery. If you’ve never had a concussion and want an idea of what it’s like to be in such a situation (you sadist) let Pominville’s story give you an idea.
“It was definitely one of those where the puck wasn’t there and I never saw him,” Pominville said in HSBC Arena. “It’s tough for me to even take note of it. My back was turned.
“I was sleeping for two, three minutes. The trainers came out and were trying to, I don’t know what they were doing, either pinching me or trying to wake me up. Eventually, I kind of woke up and saw four, five doctors around me, so I was kind of wondering what was going on.
“But as they started asking me questions, I think my memory was pretty good. I remembered who had scored and what had happened throughout the game, so the question-answering part of it was good.”
As for his recovery, things are going well and Pominville hopes to join the team again soon but because of the concussion he’ll have a battery of tests he needs to pass in order to be able to get back to game action. The Sabres can use all the help they can get right now as they’re mired in a funk to start the season going 1-4-1 with just three points to start the season.
The offense isn’t exactly sputtering, but it’s not all that it could be either and Pominville can help that out, but only when he’s ready to get back on the ice. Until then, the Sabres are going to have to figure things out on their own and doing so fast might help ease the worries of fans in Buffalo who are clearly stressed out thanks to their poor start.
Lawson Crouse has joined a talented group of young forwards in Arizona, after the Coyotes acquired the 2015 first-round pick from the Florida Panthers on Thursday.
The Coyotes had to take on the contract of injured forward Dave Bolland, but in their minds, it was worth it to get a player like Crouse, who certainly brings size up front at six-foot-four-inches tall and 212 pounds. He had 23 goals and 62 points in 49 games this season with Kingston in the OHL.
“He’s a unique guy because usually when you add a guy with the type of size he has you usually give up a little bit in skating or you give up a little bit in skill,” said general manager John Chayka, as per the Coyotes website.
“He’s a guy that you add the size and he actually enhances that for your entire group. In our opinion, it was a guy that’s rare to find, difficult to obtain. Certainly, once they become established in the league, those players are locked up well into their 30s and then you end up trying to maybe overpay for a player that has these attributes that’s not in the prime of his career.”
Crouse, who turned 19 years old in June, now joins the likes of Max Domi, Dylan Strome and Anthony Duclair as part of Arizona’s group of up-and-coming young forwards. He has familiarity with all three from playing in the OHL or for Team Canada at the world juniors.
“He can fly. He’s fast and he hits and he scores goals. You kinda get the total package,” Strome told Sportsnet.
There’s been another possible development in the search for a team name for the Las Vegas NHL franchise.
The Las Vegas ‘Desert Knights’ could perhaps be a thing.
From the Las Vegas Review-Journal:
Last week domain names were registered that might be an indicator that the NHL team scheduled to begin play in 2017 could be called the Las Vegas Desert Knights.
Last week the domains lasvegasdesertknights.com, vegasdesertknights.com and desertknightshockey.com were privately registered to Moniker Privacy Services, which is the same company that procured the domain name to NHL.com.
DetroitHockey.net first reported the new domain name Thursday morning.
Foley said via text message he had no comment regarding the process when reached by the Review-Journal.
As the Las Vegas franchise continues to hire key members for its hockey operations department, there is growing intrigue when it comes to the search for a new name.
What will this new franchise be called?
The wait continues, and there has been a lot of space dedicated to speculating and discussing the possibilities.
It’s been reported that the expansion franchise could use one of at least three ‘Hawks’-orientated names. Owner Bill Foley also said this summer that Las Vegas can’t use a ‘Knights’ nickname is Canada, because London’s OHL franchise was also named the Knights.
Stay tuned . . .
Scott Luce has gone from the Florida Panthers to the Las Vegas expansion franchise.
The new NHL organization — still searching for a team name — announced Thursday that it has hired Luce as its new director of amateur scouting.
Luce spent the last 14 years in Florida, as a scout and as director of player personnel.
Luce was let go earlier in the offseason, as the Panthers underwent massive change within their front office, with the promotion of Dale Tallon to president of hockey operations and Tom Rowe to GM, and more attention to analytics.
After announcing the hiring of Jared Bednar as their next head coach, the Colorado Avalanche have brought in forward Rene Bourque on a professional tryout, according to James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail.
Bourque became an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of July, after his six-year contract worth a total value of $20 million expired. The annual cap hit on his previous deal was $3.333 million.
He spent last season with the Columbus Blue Jackets, scoring three goals and eight points in 49 games. He was placed on waivers at the end of February.
During the 2014-15 campaign, he spent time with the Montreal Canadiens, Anaheim Ducks and the Blue Jackets, before a back injury sidelined him for the remainder of that season.