Could the Coyotes ownership saga finally be at an end?


It’s been a long time coming for the fans of the Phoenix Coyotes, but they may actually be close to having a deal worked out with an owner intent upon keeping the team in Glendale, Arizona. Chicago-based financier Matthew Hulsizer is apparently very close to locking down a deal with the City of Glendale and the NHL to purchase the Coyotes and according to the Winnipeg Free Press, the ball is now in the court of the NHL Board of Governors to finalize the process.

“The City of Glendale and the Hulsizer Group have reached an agreement in principle on the lease that would allow the Hulsizer Group to purchase the Coyotes from the NHL under the terms they requested,” said Glendale spokesperson Julie Frisoni. “The provisions of the deal are subject to formal approval by the NHL board of governors.”

The purchase price is said to be US $165-million with a Nov. 30 closing.

“It appears that significant progress is being made. We’re certainly hopeful that we are moving toward a conclusion that will assure the Coyotes’ long-term future in Glendale,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Free Press.

The sale price would give the NHL a net gain after the league bought the team for $140 million out of bankruptcy. While we’ve been through this whole dance before a couple of times concerning the Coyotes, this situation doesn’t appear to be mired in dealing with bureaucratic paperwork like Memorandums of Understanding. The Coyotes have had MOUs with Chicago sports owner Jerry Reinsdorf as well as Ice Edge Holdings. With Hulsizer in place and with money immediately ready to plunk down on the team, it appears that things a lot further along than they have been with either Reinsdorf or Ice Edge.

This entire mess began when former owner Jerry Moyes tried to go around the sale process with the NHL by selling the team to James Balsillie, wherein Balsillie would then move the team to Hamilton, Ontario to play at Copps Coliseum.  If things can get worked out with Hulsizer, the NHL, and the City of Glendale on working out a new lease at Arena, a lease that makes it very costly for anyone to move the team out of the area.

If things can’t get officially worked out and completed with Hulsizer, the future of the Coyotes in Glendale will go back up in the air and with the real threat of having a new owner that wishes to move the team out of Arizona (like True North from Winnipeg would like to do) coming in and taking over. As of now, should things with Hulsizer work out the NHL is hoping to have everything taken care of by the end of November. As always with the Coyotes ownership dealings, waiting for all the T’s to be crossed and the I’s to be dotted is the best way to handle any news here, but at the moment, it appears that Coyotes fans’ ongoing nightmare may be over.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One
Leave a comment

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.