Wade Redden is saying all the right things about his AHL demotion, Hartford assignment

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for waderedden1.jpgWe all know that Wade Redden’s contract is one of the biggest albatrosses in a long stream of bad contracts handed out by New York Rangers Glen Sather. As you may know, the team shipped him to the Hartford Wolf Pack (who will soon become the Connecticut Whale, actually) to clear up his enormous $6.5 million salary cap hit.

While it’s difficult to feel too bad for Redden considering the fact that he still has four years and $23 million left on that contract, it can often be all-too-easy to forget that he is a human being after all. Jeff Jacobs of the Hartford Courant caught up with Redden, who at least said all the right things about his demotion to Hartford.

Who knows if this situation eventually will be remedied, but Redden called Hartford a logical place for him to be while it happens. He said he doesn’t want to be running around at this point, that going to Europe with a newborn wouldn’t be a smart thing.

“A lot has happened to him in his personal and professional life,” coach Ken Gernander said. “To this point he has handled it with top marks.”

Redden talked easily about playing in Hartford during his rookie NHL season, including one of his first games in the preseason. He talked about chatting the other day with longtime friend and former Whaler Brad McCrimmon, who stressed what a great place Hartford is. His young teammates seemed eager to accept him. As a couple of reporters spoke to Redden, Devin DiDiomete, Brodie Dupont and Ryan Garlock playfully surrounded them using a water bottle as a microphone, a stick as a boom mike and pretending to roll a camera.

“I’m coming with a good attitude,” Redden said. “Looking at my time in New York, things didn’t go the way I wanted them to. And I don’t think things were going to change. I sat down with Glen and he said the same thing.”

Redden said he wasn’t surprised to be waived, which means that he’s at least not in total denial.

With those four expensive years left, Redden will need to get used to the AHL since he seems disinterested in playing in Europe (he explained that going overseas would be difficult with his young children). If Michael Nylander’s travels serve as a road map, the best Redden could probably hope for is the chance to be “loaned” to a different minor league team.

Again, it’s hard to empathize too much with a guy who’s making that much money, but it still must be embarrassing for a solid pro. Hopefully he’ll make it back to the NHL once his lengthy, expensive deal runs out. In the mean time, he’ll just have to make the best of things.

Scroll Down For:

    Report: Ekblad cleared by Panthers doctors

    NASHVILLE, TN - JANUARY 30:  Aaron Ekblad #5 of the Florida Panthers poses for a 2016 NHL All-Star portrait at Bridgestone Arena on January 30, 2016 in Nashville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Sanford Myers/Getty Images)
    Getty
    Leave a comment

    Aaron Ekblad has been medically cleared by Florida Panthers doctors, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.

    That’s a big relief for everyone involved after Ekblad was injured while representing Team North America in the World Cup. The injury was originally reported as a “mild” concussion, though it was later called a neck injury.

    The 20-year-old has since been back on the ice working out.

    “Ekblad is going to be fine,” Panthers coach Gerard Galant said. “You see him out there skating already. I think it was a little scary, but he feels real good. He’s going to skate and see how he feels, but everything looks good.”

    The first overall pick in the 2014 draft, Eklbad had already dealt with at least one concussion during his playing career. He suffered one in an international exhibition game during the summer of 2014, just prior to his outstanding rookie season with the Panthers.

    Ottawa sends Brown, 11th overall draft pick, back to junior

    BUFFALO, NY - JUNE 24:  Logan Brown celebrates with the Ottawa Senators after being selected 11th overall during round one of the 2016 NHL Draft on June 24, 2016 in Buffalo, New York.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
    Getty
    Leave a comment

    It didn’t take long for one of the top picks at this year’s draft to be sent packing from training camp.

    On Wednesday, Ottawa announced that Logan Brown — the 11th overall selection in June — has been sent back to his junior team in OHL Windsor.

    Brown, the son of ex-NHL defenseman Jeff Brown, played in Monday’s exhibition win over Toronto and scored once. He didn’t play in Tuesday’s OT loss to Buffalo.

    Though he wasn’t expected to make the team this season, Brown, 18, is considered to be a high-end prospect, which makes his early dismissal a bit curious.

    At 6-foot-6 and 210 pounds, he has terrific size and the Sens wasted little time locking him in after the draft, signing him to a three-year, entry-level deal in August.

    Related: Get to know a draft pick — Logan Brown

    Seidenberg expected to sign with Islanders

    BOSTON, MA - JUNE 08:  Dennis Seidenberg #44 of the Boston Bruins skates against Mason Raymond #21 of the Vancouver Canucks during Game Four of the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Final at TD Garden on June 8, 2011 in Boston, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
    Getty
    1 Comment

    Dennis Seidenberg is expected to sign with the New York Islanders after the World Cup, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.

    It’s a one-year, $1 million deal, per Dreger.

    Seidenberg is currently playing a significant role for Team Europe, a surprise finalist against the heavily favored Canadians.

    The 35-year-old defenseman was unexpectedly bought out by the Boston Bruins over the summer. He had two years remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $4 million.

    Seidenberg was a key part of the Bruins’ Stanley Cup champion team in 2011, but injuries limited him to just 61 games last season, and his average ice time fell below 20 minutes for the first time since he was with the Hurricanes in 2007-08.

    He’ll likely take on a bottom-pairing role with the Islanders, below Nick Leddy, Travis Hamonic, Johnny Boychuk, and Calvin de Haan. He may even be the extra defenseman, pushing the likes of Thomas Hickey, Ryan Pulock, Adam Pelech, and Scott Mayfield for a spot in the lineup.

    Related: Seidenberg shocked by Bruins’ decision

    Devils bolster defense, ink Quincey to one-year, $1.25M deal

    Detroit Red Wings v Columbus Blue Jackets
    Getty
    1 Comment

    New Jersey needed some blueline depth after this summer’s blockbuster Adam Larsson-for-Taylor Hall trade and now, they’ve addressed it.

    On Wednesday, GM Ray Shero announced the club signed veteran defenseman Kyle Quincey to a one-year, $1.25 million deal.

    Quincey, 31, spent the last four seasons in Detroit, emerging as a regular fixture on defense — but ’15-16 was hardly a positive campaign.

    He missed 35 games with a serious ankle injury and, upon his return, never seemed to find his way into head coach Jeff Blashill’s good graces.

    Blashill even scratched Quincey in Game 3 of Detroit’s opening-round playoff loss to Tampa, and didn’t provide a reason why — a pretty bold move for a player that, in ’13-14, appeared in all 82 games for the Red Wings, averaging nearly 21 minutes per night.

    Overall, this move seems like a pretty reasonable gamble from the Devils. Quincey has his flaws, but the term is short and the money is relatively low.

    (Especially considering Quincey’s coming off a two-year, $8.5 million deal that paid $4.25M annually.)

    Shero could end up getting a nice return on his investment. Quincey projects  to challenge for top-four minutes in New Jersey, looking to break into a group that features the likes of Andy Greene, Damon Severson, John Moore and Ben Lovejoy.

    Jon Merrill, Steve Santini and Brandon Gormley are also in that mix, though likely to be challenging for spots on the bottom pair.