Former National Hockey League star Jason Smith faces a trial on Nov. 12 for allegedly assaulting his wife and oldest of two daughters last month.
Smith, who lives in Calgary, pleaded not guilty.
The trial was set by provincial court Judge Heather Lamoureux on Monday after a clause that prevented Smith from having contact with his family was removed from his bail conditions.
Lamoureux conditionally deleted the no-contact order after hearing an application by defence lawyer Alain Hepner.
Hepner said he made the request after Home Front, a Crown support group for victims of domestic violence, interviewed the alleged victims. Crown prosecutor Hyatt Mograbee did not oppose the application.
Hepner said any contact or attendance at the family home in Greely, Ont., a suburb of Ottawa, must be approved by Smith’s counselor.
It’s an unfortunate situation, one that doesn’t involve a whole lot of tangible information. We’ll pass along word about his trial once it comes through in November. Hopefully Smith and his family can move on from this incident, whether they are reunited or not.