Canucks GM Mike Gillis to talk with Roberto Luongo about captaincy today

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for grinningluongo.jpgIf you’re a Canucks fan that’s been sitting on the edge of your seat hoping to find some news about whether or not Roberto Luongo will be the team’s captain again next season, first of all, relax. Secondly, we’ve got an update for you. 

Canucks GM Mike Gillis is finding his hands full of drama and training camp hasn’t even begun in earnest. First he’s dealing with the injury situation surrounding the team’s top prospect Cody Hodgson and now he’ll be sitting down for a pow-wow with Luongo to discuss the team’s captaincy.

“I think that the expectations that go with that position, with that title, in a Canadian city can be a distraction,” Gillis admitted. “I will discuss that with him (Monday), and I will find out whether he feels the same way, and get his thoughts on the process.”

Apart from the fact the captain of an NHL team is expected to speak to the media at nearly every practice, morning skate and after every game — a serious task with the growing media horde surrounding these Canucks — the bigger problem came in the playoffs when the Canucks’ play lacked, particularly in the shot-blocking department.

It is at times like that when the captain needs to step up and publicly state where the team needs to improve. But when a goalie chastises his team in the media for failing to block enough shots, it comes across as the goalie pointing the finger at teammates.

It’s a good bet the captaincy goes to Henrik Sedin when the season starts in October.

“I know (Luongo) desperately wants to win a Stanley Cup, and he’s going to do everything in his power to do that. If he feels it’s a distraction or hinders his play in any way I’m sure he’ll make the best decision for the team first and for him second,” Gillis said.

Given how much talk there is about whether or not Luongo should even be the team captain should be indicative of how much of an issue this is to everyone concerned with the team. The fact that this is such a public discussion shows that the Canucks might need training camp to start sooner than most teams to escape such crazy talk.

Perhaps I’m a bit too old school when it comes to matters of team captaincy, but apparently we’re past the days when the guys on the ice would elect a team captain. I realize that being an NHL captain calls for more demands for your time off the ice as well as responsibilities on it. That said, goaltending is a position that demands mental focus at all times and having your goalie have to face the media after each game and handle the community tie-ins as well seems like more of a burden for a player shoulder than necessary.

Moving the “C” to Henrik Sedin or Ryan Kesler would likely be more of a benefit to the Canucks than they realize. Once they weather the initial storm of taking it from Luongo, they’ll be better off for it.

Scroll Down For:

    ‘It’s getting stronger every day’: Bishop says he’ll be ready for World Cup camp

    2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Three
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    With the World Cup of Hockey approaching, Ben Bishop seems optimistic he’ll be ready to participate in the Team USA training camp prior to the event.

    Bishop, the Tampa Bay Lightning goalie, was injured on a seemingly innocent play and had to be stretchered off the ice in the first period of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final.

    There had been talk that he could perhaps return to game action, but in the end, he didn’t play another game in the series, as the Bolts were eliminated by the Pittsburgh Penguins in seven games.

    “The leg is feeling better and it’s getting stronger every day,” Bishop told ESPN.

    “I’m getting ready to start skating soon … and get back on the ice and doing that side of things. We have about a month until we go, so I’ll start off slow and pick it up in the next month and be ready for training camp for the World Cup.”

    Good news for Team USA, which also called on Jonathan Quick and Cory Schneider for their goaltending duties. The tournament begins Sept. 17.

    In keeping with the optimistic mood about his status for the World Cup, Bishop last week revealed his new Team USA mask.

    Related: Lightning lock up Vasilevskiy — what now for Bishop? 

    Benn aims to be ready for World Cup after offseason surgery

    Fans celebrate along with Dallas Stars left wing Jamie Benn (14) after a score by Benn in the first period of Game 3 of a first-round NHL hockey Stanley Cup playoff series game, Monday, April 21, 2014, in Dallas. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
    AP Photo
    Leave a comment

    Surgery earlier this month to repair a core muscle has put Jamie Benn‘s status for the upcoming World Cup of Hockey in question, however the Dallas Stars captain still aims to be ready to play for Team Canada.

    It was announced on July 15 that the recovery timeline for this surgery was six weeks, which certainly makes it possible that Benn could be ready for the tournament, which begins Sept. 17.

    “As of right now, yeah. I think this is a surgery that I’m able to come back a little quicker than double-hip surgery. That’s the main focus I’m training towards being able to make it for World Cup. We’ll just see what happens,” said Benn, as per Mark Stepneski of the Stars’ website on Saturday.

    “Well, I think I’ll get on the ice later this week and just keep ramping it up a little more each time. I still think that’s a lot of time, enough time for me to be ready to jump into high-level hockey.”

    Benn had 41 goals and 89 points last season with the Stars. He signed an eight-year, $76 million contract extension on the same day his recent surgery was announced.

    Benn’s teammate Tyler Seguin “should be ready for the World Cup,” said Stars GM Jim Nill earlier this month.

    Done deal: Coyotes sign 2016 first-round pick Chychrun to entry-level contract

    BUFFALO, NY - JUNE 24:  Jakob Chychrun poses for a portrait after being selected 16th overall by the Arizona Coyotes  in round one during the 2016 NHL Draft on June 24, 2016 in Buffalo, New York.  (Photo by Jeffrey T. Barnes/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    The Arizona Coyotes moved up the draft order to select defenseman Jakob Chychrun at 16th overall. And now, they have signed Chychrun to a three-year entry-level contract.

    The Coyotes made the announcement on Saturday.

    “We are very pleased to sign Jakob to an entry-level contract,” said Coyotes GM John Chayka in a statement. “Jakob is a highly-skilled player with an all-around game. He has a great work ethic and is very determined. We look forward to watching him continue to develop this season.”

    When the 2015-16 season began, it was suggested Chychrun could potentially be a top-three pick in the draft in June. But he fell down the order, despite being the No. 4-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting.

    He was the fifth defenseman taken in the draft.

    Listed at six-foot-two-inches tall and 215 pounds, Chychrun brings size and strong skating ability to the blue line. He had 11 goals and 49 points last season with Sarnia in the Ontario Hockey League.

    The Coyotes selected Chychrun after acquiring the remainder of Pavel Datsyuk’s contract from the Detroit Red Wings and moving up the order.

    Chychrun’s fall — and what precipitated it in the first place — was discussed in great detail when the Coyotes held their development camp earlier this month.

    “I think it was about being tense,” said Coyotes director of player development Steve Sullivan. “All the pressure of wanting to be second overall and maybe not having a great season; it snowballed the wrong way for him.

    “Now he needs to understand he’s been drafted into the National Hockey League and we’re going to put him in a game plan to get him here as fast as we can. He can loosen up and play the way we think he can play. If that happens, there is no reason why he won’t be here sooner than later.”

    Related:

    Coyotes’ defensive makeover continues with Luke Schenn signing

    Report: Stone and Coyotes agree to one-year, $4M deal

    Coyotes sign Connor Murphy to six-year extension

    Report: NHL linesman Henderson required neck surgery, friends fear his career may be over

    Nashville Predators' players look over the bench at linesman Don Henderson after he was hit by Calgary Flames' Dennis Wideman during second period NHL hockey action in Calgary, Alberta, Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. (Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press via AP)
    AP Photo
    9 Comments

    Don Henderson, the NHL linesman knocked to the ice by Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman, has undergone neck surgery to repair damage from the hit and there are fears his career may now be over, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

    From Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe:

    According to one of his friends in the officiating business, Henderson’s recent surgery was aimed at repairing two ruptured disks in his neck, the result of the hit. Felled in the second period, he dusted himself off and finished the game the night he was injured.

    “I know a lot of people are saying stuff like, ‘Hey, Wideman’s not that type of guy . . . that’s not in his nature . . . he’s a good kid,’ ’’ said one of Henderson’s longtime pals in stripes. “And I say, ‘Yeah, so what?!’ That doesn’t make it any less egregious. He attacked him from behind, the puck was nowhere near the two of them, and now Henderson’s career may be finished. I don’t see much difference between what he did and Wayne Maki cracking his stick over Teddy Green’s head.’’

    This is the latest development in a saga that has dominated headlines in the NHL since the incident occurred late in January.

    Wideman apologized following the incident, saying the collision was ‘completely unintentional.’ The league later confirmed that Wideman had suffered a concussion from a hit just seconds before he checked Henderson to the ice near the bench.

    He eventually received a 20-game suspension, but that was reduced to 10 games by a neutral arbitrator, although Wideman had already sat out 19 games when the decision was handed down following an appeal.

    Related:

    Report: NHL dismisses neutral arbitrator who reduced Wideman’s suspension

    NHL sues NHLPA to reverse Wideman’s suspension reduction

    NHL Officials’ Association ‘strongly disagrees’ with the decision to reduce Wideman’s suspension