Predictable conclusion: Dan Ellis quits Twitter

Thumbnail image for danellis1.jpgLightning goalie Dan Ellis is calling it quits on Twitter. No, he’s not retiring from hockey, he’s just not going to use Twitter anymore. We’ve outlined Ellis’ missteps and repentance for his words to this point but to say that this is a surprising outcome from everything that’s happened the last few days would be a lie. Ellis spoke to Damian Cristodero about his departure from the social media outlet and the sour taste it has left in his mouth given everything that’s gone down lately.

Ellis’ reasons for pulling a Derek Bell-esque move of “Operation Shutdown”:

“It’s unfortunate because Twitter is a great way for fans to get to know people, and Twitter is a way to show a personal side, to show something that isn’t in your regular newspaper. It’s everyday life. I know many times last year with Nashville I would show what people what it was like on the road; the type of hotels we stay in and the way the team takes care of us and what some of the other guys like to do. Unfortunately, something like this ruins something like that for the fans. For myself, growing up, I would have loved to see  the inside of a professional hockey player or a musician or anything like that. When you’re young you want to know what real life is like and it’s not always portrayed in regular media that sometimes covers more the scores and who got penalties and stuff like that. It’s a great way in, but unfortunately a few people had to ruin it.”

All right so perhaps after taking some time off and letting folks forget about this rather ugly, albeit, crazy instance of foot-in-mouth disorder, could he come back once things settle down, a la Paul Bissonette? Well…

“I don’t really know. It was a pretty sour event. I am a good person and quite honestly it was quite hurtful the things that happened there and a lot of the things that were said. For me, I’ve seen a lot of negative things from that media source. I’ll probably avoid it for the most part for quite some time.”

Well that’s a bit of a bummer. Ellis is actually a really engaging guy with a decent sense of humor… That is when he’s not getting roasted for making a poorly-constructed comparison. In the end, however, Dan Ellis leaves athletes with a piece of advice that probably shouldn’t be followed to the letter.

“Just keep it basic, keep it boring. Anything other than that can stir things up. If it’s something that’s going to cause your team and your organization negative attention, stay away from it. After my experiences I don’t see any benefits to it unless you’re doing it in a charity way or a promotional way to help people out. As a player there’s too much stuff that can happen. It opens up a can of worms that just isn’t safe in any way.”

You can say what you want, you just have to be able to deal with the slings and arrows of your followers should you say something that lights a fire under some people. Keeping a good public face is key for teams and their media staffs since having a player be a potential pariah anywhere they go makes everyone’s job a lot harder, especially a goaltender whose job requires incredible mental clarity. Telling everyone to keep it boring though is patently false.

If you’re going to be wild, embrace that image and run with it. If you want to keep it straight-laced that’s fine as well. But if nothing else, Twitter has proven to us that you can be a smart-ass and a jokester and have a fruitful time on there and have fun with the fans. Being more careful with how you word things should always be adhered to though. You can come up with a good point to shout about, but saying it the wrong way conveys the absolute wrong message and that’s a very hard lesson that Dan Ellis has learned through this. Taking it out on the medium is just projection.

Scroll Down For:

    ‘It was frustrating for me,’ says Tarasenko after struggling offensively versus Sharks

    SAN JOSE, CA - MAY 21:  Vladimir Tarasenko #91 of the St. Louis Blues in game four of the Western Conference Finals against the San Jose Sharks during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at HP Pavilion on May 21, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    St. Louis Blues star Vladimir Tarasenko has opened up about his play in the Western Conference Final versus the San Jose Sharks, who held the talented forward off the score sheet in five of six games.

    It wasn’t until the third period of Game 6 that Tarasenko finally broke his slump, scoring twice as St. Louis tried one last desperation comeback attempt. It didn’t work. The Blues were eliminated and the Sharks are in the Stanley Cup Final.

    “They played really tight and they backchecked so hard,” said Tarasenko, as per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s just experience. It was frustrating for me. I wish I could do better. I’m supposed to do better.”

    After a 40-goal regular season, the 24-year-old Tarasenko’s point production through the first two rounds — versus Chicago and Dallas — was solid, with 13 points in 14 games.

    But the Sharks kept him in check.

    His lack of production became a key focal point as the third-round series carried on. Blues’ coach Ken Hitchcock, who signed a one-year extension to stay in St. Louis, admitted Tarasenko was “learning hard lessons” against the Sharks and that he had to fight through the tight checking in order to produce offensively.

    As the series continued, Hitchcock added that Tarasenko just needed to play within the system, and that getting away from that is perhaps a “natural tendency” for young players pressing to make things happen in crucial situations.

    There had been talk about a rift between Tarasenko and Hitchcock, especially after video replays showed the two in a brief but heated exchange at the bench during the first round. Of course, the coach later downplayed it.

    As the Blues’ playoff run ended, there was speculation about why, exactly, Tarasenko didn’t address the media on the same day the rest of his teammates did.

    From St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports columnist Ben Frederickson:

    More importantly, Tarasenko’s no comment closed the book on his season without addressing the elephant in the dressing room.

    There is growing speculation of friction between Tarasenko and the Blues. Is there a rift between the star and his club?

    If I’m a member of that front office, I sure would have liked a player under contract until 2023 to squash such a story on Saturday.

    On the subject of any perceived issues between the Blues organization and Tarasenko, both parties responded:

     

     

    The Russians say they’re in ‘negotiations’ with the NHL to get Voynov into the World Cup

    St. Louis Blues v Los Angeles Kings
    Getty
    3 Comments

    Yesterday in Pittsburgh, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made it clear that Slava Voynov was still suspended and, because of that, would not be allowed to play in the upcoming World Cup.

    Bettman also said that the Russian Ice Hockey Federation had been told as much.

    However, it seems the Russians — who last week added Voynov to their World Cup roster — still haven’t given up on trying to get the 26-year-old defensemen into the tournament.

    From Russian News Agency TASS:

    “The Russian Ice Hockey Federation is holding negotiations with the organizers of the World Cup – the NHL – concerning the issue of national team’s defender Vyacheslav Voynov,” the RHF’s press service told TASS on Tuesday adding that besides the Russian and US sides the negotiations also involve Rene Fasel, the president of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

    “The Russian Ice Hockey Federation hopes that the organizers of the international competition will make a positive decision on the issue and the defender will be allowed to be included in the roster of the Russian national team,” the RHF added.

    Known in the United States as Slava Voynov he played in the past for NHL’s Los Angeles Kings before the North American Hockey League suspended him over domestic violence charges and the player returned last autumn back home, where he is currently playing for the national team and KHL’s SKA St. Petersburg club.

    Time will tell if the Russians can convince the NHL to change its stance. They could sure use Voynov, given the relative weakness of their defense. But Bettman did not sound yesterday like he was open to a negotiation.

    The Russians, for the record, have maintained that it’s not the NHL’s decision to make.

    So perhaps that’s the big question here — who has the final say on the matter? Officially, the World Cup “is a joint effort of the NHLPA and the NHL, in cooperation with the International Ice Hockey Federation.”

    It’s just not entirely clear how that bit of boilerplate applies to the Voynov situation.

    Report: Bruins’ Khokhlachev to sign in KHL

    Montreal Canadiens v Boston Bruins
    Getty
    7 Comments

    Alexander Khokhlachev’s time with the Boston Bruins is up, according to a report out of Russia that has the 22-year-old forward signing with SKA Saint Petersburg of the KHL.

    The deal reportedly won’t be announced until after June 30; Khokhlachev is under contract with the B’s until then. But the fact he’s apparently decided to depart for the KHL should come as no surprise.

    A second-round draft pick in 2011, Khokhlachev has spent the last three seasons piling up points in the AHL; however, he’s only appeared in nine NHL games.

    Earlier this month, his agent told CBS Boston, “Alexander did not really get a chance for all the years that he signed a deal, for four years, the deals he signed with Boston, didn’t really get a chance to play in the National Hockey League, so he won’t stay in the organization.”

    SKA acquired Khokhlachev’s KHL rights last summer.

    Related: Khokhlachev just wants a chance

    Jackets not expected to sign Quebec league prospect Pelletier

    PHILADELPHIA, PA - JUNE 28:  Julien Pelletier meets his team after being drafted #107 by the Columbus Blue Jackets on Day Two of the 2014 NHL Draft at the Wells Fargo Center on June 28, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    Julien Pelletier, the QMJHL Sherbrooke forward taken in the fourth round of the ’14 draft, is unlikely to receive an entry-level contract from the Blue Jackets, per the Columbus Dispatch.

    The move would mean Pelletier could re-enter this year’s draft. The Blue Jackets have until Wednesday to decide if they want to sign him, or trade his rights to another team.

    Taken five spots ahead of Viktor Arvidsson — who’s become a nice young player for Nashville — Pelletier had a solid season in Sherbrooke, finishing second on the team in goals (with 27).

    This year, he was in training camp with the Jackets but sent home early.

    Per the Dispatch, the Jackets are also unlikely to sign another ’14 draftee — Olivier Leblanc, who was taken in the seventh round.