Quebec province claims they'd cover 45 percent of construction costs for new arena

Thumbnail image for nordiquesvsjets.jpgWho knows if the province of Quebec can actually land another NHL team, but their politicians certainly seem like they’re doing their best to make it happen.

We’ve been all over this rumor-laden story so far and while it’s far from a done deal that they’ll build a new arena – let alone add an existing or expansion NHL team – recent reports give reason to at least discuss the possibility. Marianne White of The Montreal Gazette reports that Quebec City will cover 45 percent of the estimated $400 million it would cost to build a new arena.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest detailed some of the plans and what would need to happen for the remaining 55 percent to be covered.

Charest said the province is going ahead with the project even though there’s no guarantee of either the return of an NHL franchise or an eventual Winter Olympics bid.

“Let’s do it and if it helps to obtain a hockey team, so be it, if it helps us obtain the Winter Olympics, so be it,” Charest said.

The city would put in $50 million.

With the province’s commitment, Charest is turning up the pressure on the federal government to come up with the remaining 45 per cent – an estimated $175 million – needed to build the arena.

Labeaume and Charest both said Tuesday Ottawa needs to pledge the funds for the arena “as soon as possible.”

Read the original article for more details about the planners’ estimates of how much money this arena would earn with (or without) a hockey team. Naturally, there can often be a big gulf between estimates and actual profits, but it would be wise for planners to assume the worst (i.e. that they might not be able to attract an NHL team).

No doubt about it, though, it would be quite refreshing to see Canada gain an NHL team for a change. I mean, that’s what Jim Balsillie wanted the whole time, right?

Scroll Down For:

    Kings GM says Mike Richards went into ‘a destructive spiral’

    Mike Richards

    The Los Angeles Kings may owe Mike Richards money until 2031 (seriously), but in settling his grievance, the team and player more or less get to turn the page.

    Not before Kings GM Dean Lombardi shares his sometimes startling perspective, though.

    Lombardi has a tendency to be candid, especially in the press release-heavy world of sports management. Even by his standards, his account of Richards’ “destructive sprial” is a staggering read from the Los Angeles Times’ Lisa Dillman.

    “Without a doubt, the realization of what happened to Mike Richards is the most traumatic episode of my career,” Lombardi said in a written summation he provided to the Los Angeles Times. “At times, I think that I will never recover from it. It is difficult to trust anyone right now – and you begin to question whether you can trust your own judgment. The only thing I can think of that would be worse would be suspecting your wife of cheating on you for five years and then finding out in fact it was true.”

    Lombardi provides plenty of eyebrow-raising statements to Dillman, including:

    • He believed he “found his own Derek Jeter” in Richards, a player who “at one time symbolized everything that was special about the sport.”
    • Lombardi remarked that “his production dropped 50 percent and the certain ‘it’ factor he had was vaporizing in front of me daily.”
    • The Kings GM believes that he was “played” by Richards.

    … Yeah.

    Again, it’s a powerful read that you should soak in yourself, even if you’re unhappy with the way the Kings handled the situation.

    Maybe the most pressing of many lingering questions is: will we get to hear Richards’ side of the story?

    Coyotes exploit another lousy outing from Quick

    Jonathan Quick

    Despite owning two Stanley Cup rings, there are a healthy number of people who aren’t wild about Jonathan Quick.

    Those people might feel validated through the Los Angeles Kings’ first two games, as he followed a rough loss to the San Jose Sharks with a true stinker against the Arizona Coyotes on Friday.

    Sometimes a goalie has a bad night stats-wise, yet his team is as much to blame as anything else. You can probably pin this one on Quick, who allowed four goals on just 14 shots through the first two periods.

    Things died down in the final frame, but let’s face it; slowing things down is absolutely the Coyotes’ design with a 4-1 lead (which ultimately resulted in a 4-1 win).


    A soft 1-0 goal turned out to be a sign of things to come:

    Many expected the Kings to roar into this second game after laying an egg in their opener. Instead, the Coyotes exploited Quick’s struggles for a confidence-booster, which included key prospect Max Domi scoring a goal and an assist.

    It’s worth mentioning that Mike Smith looked downright fantastic at times, only drawing more attention to Quick’s struggles.


    After a troubled summer and a failed 2014-15 season, Los Angeles was likely eager to start things off the right way.

    Instead, they instead will likely focus on the fact that they merely dropped two (ugly) games.