Report: Atlanta Thrashers to sign Fredrik Modin to one-year deal

sadfredmodin.jpgAh, Google translator … it’s not just for desperate, sweat-on-the-brow English-to-Spanish translations to complete essays for college classes anymore!*

* – Uh, not that the author of this piece ever resorted to such childish measures to pass mandatory language classes or anything. (Cough)

While Pension Plan Puppets power-bombed the Toronto Sun for (allegedly) stealing an actual translation, we at Pro Hockey Talk will follow the path of least resistance and just show you this haphazardly translated article from a reliable Swedish report that says Fredrik Modin is on the verge of signing with the Atlanta Thrashers. Rather than putting the telltale (sic) after every charming, lost-in-translation-based mistake, consider this disclaimer to be one big (sic).

Fredrik Modin started last season in Columbus Blue Jackets, but after the Olympic tournament, he switched off to Los Angeles Kings.

Now there will be no continuation of the west coast of the great outer forward.

Instead, the games on the East Coast next season Modin.

According to Sportbladet Modin is consistent with the Atlanta Thrashers on one-year contract.

“Sweden never an option”

In case you need a translation of that translation, it sounds like Modin will sign a one-year contract with the Atlanta Thrashers and that he never really considered playing in Sweden. Keep in mind that the original Swedish report wasn’t riddled with wacky, almost robotic grammatical errors.

Modin had a surprisingly pedestrian statistical season last year (11 points in only 44 games split between the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Los Angeles Kings) but is a useful two-way player with an outstanding shot. He also looks like John Malkovich and the lead actor from “Dexter,” which I think we can all agree matters much more than his actual on-ice abilities.

Anyway, this report isn’t 100 percent official, but if it’s true and the contract isn’t for too much dough, this a solid, low-risk move for what will be a very different looking Atlanta Thrashers team next season.

Scroll Down For:

    In wake of youth hockey brawl, Peters admits he did ‘not do a good job this weekend’

    Leave a comment

    This morning on Buffalo radio, former Sabres tough guy Andrew Peters offered a mea culpa of sorts regarding his role in a youth hockey brawl on Saturday.

    Peters admitted that he did “not do a good job this weekend communicating” with his team that fighting is “unacceptable” in youth sports.

    “I can’t discuss anything in regard to the altercation,” Peters added, per the Buffalo News. “I have to move on from that.”

    From the Associated Press’ story on the brawl:

    Former NHL enforcer Andrew Peters has been suspended indefinitely as coach of a youth hockey team pending a Buffalo police investigation into his role in an on-ice brawl.

    Buffalo Junior Sabres president Kevyn Adams announced the suspension Sunday, a day after the melee occurred during a game between the Peters-coached 15-and-Under team and the Ontario-based Hamilton Junior Bulldogs.

    A video posted on YouTube shows the fight escalating into the Sabres’ bench, when Peters becomes involved in attempting to separate the players. At one point, the 36-year-old appears to shove a Hamilton player backward onto the ice.

    According to a person familiar with the situation, Peters told Junior Sabres officials that he slipped while attempting to get one of the Hamilton players away from Buffalo’s bench. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the conversation was to remain private.

    Peters played 229 NHL games for the Sabres and Devils, racking up 650 PIM with just four goals and three assists.

    Back-to-back hat tricks earns Forsberg first star of the week

    NASHVILLE, TN - APRIL 17:  Filip Forsberg #9 of the Nashville Predators celebrates a goal against the Chicago Blackhawks in the second period of Game Two of the Western Conference Quarterfinals during the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Bridgestone Arena on April 17, 2015 in Nashville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)
    Getty
    Leave a comment

    With back-to-back hat tricks, plus two more goals to boot, Nashville’s Filip Forsberg was today named the NHL’s first star of the week.

    Chicago’s Jonathan Toews and Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau were the second and third stars, respectively.

    But Forsberg was a slam dunk for the top honor. After getting off to a slow start this season, the 22-year-old winger now has 24 goals — and, more importantly, his Predators have a seven-point playoff cushion.

    The Preds went 3-0-1 last week, which included back-to-back wins over two tough opponents, Washington and Edmonton, over the weekend.

    With three goals Thursday against Colorado, Forsberg became the first player since Alex Burrows in 2010 to register back-to-back hat tricks.

    Waiver claims: Bolts get McKegg, Jackets snag Dalpe

    SUNRISE, FL - OCTOBER 22: Shane Harper #38 celebrates his third period goal with Gregg McKegg #41 of the Florida Panthers against the Colorado Avalanche at the BB&T Center on October 22, 2016 in Sunrise, Florida. The Panthers defeated the Avalanche 5-2. (Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images)
    Getty
    Leave a comment

    A pair of forwards were scooped off waivers on Monday morning.

    The Lightning snared Greg McKegg from in-state rival Florida, while the Blue Jackets picked up journeyman Zac Dalpe from Minnesota, per ESPN.

    McKegg, 24, was originally a Maple Leafs draftee (third round, ’10) that Florida acquired via trade two years ago. He appeared in 31 games for the Panthers this year, scoring six points, but also spent time with the club’s AHL affiliate in Springfield.

    Dalpe, 27, has bounced around the league throughout his professional career, though he has spent the last two campaigns with the Wild organization. He’s appeared in more games for Iowa than Minnesota, scoring a goal and three points in nine NHL games this year.

    There is a connection between Dalpe and Columbus. The former had a career year under Jackets head coach John Tortorella in Vancouver during the ’13-14 campaign — that season, Dalpe played 55 games and finished with four goals and seven points.

    Red Wings extend Jensen for two more years

    DETROIT, MI - JANUARY 16: Paul Byron #41 of the Montreal Canadiens battles for the puck with Nick Jensen #3 of the Detroit Red Wings during the second period  at Joe Louis Arena on January 16, 2017 in Detroit, Michigan.  (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
    Getty
    1 Comment

    The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Nick Jensen to a two-year contract extension.

    Jensen, 26, has three goals and five assists in 27 games this season.

    It took the 2009 draft pick a while to get to the NHL, but with Jonathan Ericsson done for the season and Brendan Smith possibly getting traded before Wednesday’s deadline, Jensen should receive plenty of ice time down the stretch.

    Below are the financial terms of the deal: