Reactions around the league to the Ilya Kovalchuk signing


loulamoriello1.jpgWith Ilya Kovalchuk signed and the NHL and NHLPA agreeing to amend the collective bargaining agreement, this morning brings about statements from everyone surrounding the situation. Here’s a summation of what folks are saying this morning.

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello makes a statement on the Devils website.

“We have been advised today that the NHL has approved the contract between Ilya Kovalchuk and the New Jersey Devils.  We are very pleased with this decision which will see Ilya Kovalchuk remain a valuable member of the Devils.
“The New Jersey Devils acted in good faith throughout this entire process and operated solely on the assumption that our negotiations and both contracts reached were fully compliant with the CBA, as written and applied.  Arbitrator Bloch reached that same conclusion in his August 9 decision.  We are pleased that this matter has finally been concluded to all parties’ satisfaction.”

Lamoriello’s statements are very clear in stating that the Devils stayed within the rules all along because the NHL has until September 17th to punish them for the circumventing the salary cap. While punishments could’ve gone so far as to reduce the Devils salary cap space, that won’t happen this time. Instead, stiff fines and loss of draft picks could be possible.TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets that other owners are hoping to see the Devils punished for this.

The Sporting News’ Craig Custance caught up with a handful of interested parties to get their take on things. Marian Hossa’s agent Rich Winter is, unsurprisingly, very happy with how things played out.

“It’s a hat trick for the NHLPA. They preserved and protected $300 million worth of contracts. These contracts are no longer an issue,” Winter told Sporting News. “No. 2, it provides absolute certainty to the process and … it takes out of Gary Bettman’s hands an incredible amount of unchecked power.”

Meanwhile, Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner viewed it as a positive that the league and the players association were able to work together on this deal.

“I think if both sides are willing to look at both sides, something can always be worked out,” said Devils forward Jamie Langenbrunner, who plays an active role in the NHLPA. “When you go from a strict point of view of your own and your own agenda and don’t look beyond that it makes it more difficult. As long as they work together as somewhat of a partnership, a lot of good things can happen.”

This entire situation being over with is a huge relief for everyone involved. Because of all the strange, entangling alliances this created getting things back to normal, at least for a couple of years, makes for a nice change of pace. Let’s hope it lasts.

Sabres place Lehner on IR; Recall Lieuwen

Connor Brown, Robin Lehner
Leave a comment

They’re just one game into their regular season, but the Buffalo Sabres have already had to shift things around in their crease.

The Sabres announced that they have placed starting goaltender Robin Lehner on injured reserve after he was knocked out of Thursday’s game with a lower-body injury.

In a corresponding move, the club has recalled Nathan Lieuwen from their AHL affiliate in Rochester.

The 24-year-old didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he did have a 1-4-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage in seven games during the 2013-14 season.

Lieuwen was Buffalo’s sixth round pick, 167th overall, in the 2011 draft.

The Sabres also announced that they have loaned defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

McCabe was a healthy scratch in Thursday’s game against Ottawa, while Ullmark is being activated off I.R. after having double hip surgery during the off-season.



Chara ‘doubtful’ for game against rival Canadiens

Brad Marchand, Zdeno Chara
Leave a comment

It looks like the Boston Bruins will be without their captain again on Saturday night.

Head coach Claude Julien told members of the media that Zdeno Chara is considered doubtful for tonight’s game against the Montreal Canadiens.

Chara suffered an upper-body injury during the preseason and he’s already been forced to miss Boston’s season opening loss to the Jets.

Per CSN, Chara says he’s improving but he won’t return to the lineup until he’s as close to 100 percent as possible.

“Every area of the injury is improving,” said Chara. “Hopefully it’s not long before I’m free of any kind of discomfort. That’s what we’re doing right now…we’re being patient. For sure you don’t want to come back, and be half of what you are…and basically hurting yourself and the team. And you’re putting yourself in a position where you could be missing more time. At this time of the season, I think it’s important to be as close as you can be to 100 percent.”

Based on the number of defensive mistakes they committed on Thursday, the Bruins need Chara back as soon as possible: