NHL Center Ice package sees a slight price increase; Is it worth it?


First things first, let me get to the most important information. Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy reports that the NHL Center Ice package will be marginally more expensive for the 2010-11 season than it was last year.

Last year, NHLCI was $163.80 if ordered before Oct. 31. This season, the price has risen to $171.80 (a.k.a. four easy payments of $42.95) if you order Center Ice before Halloween. No word on how high the price is after that date.

Also, NHL Center Ice will offer a free preview for most of the season’s first month, going free from Oct. 7-24.

As far as clearance (Clarence), In Demand told us that NHLCI “should be available to at least as many systems as last year,” and may still add more cable systems as we get closer to puck-drop.

When in comes to the NHL Center Ice pay-per-view package, its beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On one hand, the quantity of games is gorgeous. There might be some exceptions when it comes to exclusive coverage of individual contests, but for the most part, you could watch just about every one of your favorite team’s (or teams’) matches. (They showed off this strength with an incredibly obnoxious – but perhaps informative – commercial campaign last season.) While national coverage of hockey is growing, it will be quite some time until we get to see wider coverage of the 82-game season, so Center Ice has its strenghts.

On the other hand, the picture quality is downright ugly. While the package occasionally includes one (and maybe more, considering your cable/satellite provider) pristine HD channel, the rest of the feeds are nearly unthinkable in an era of gorgeous high definition broadcasts.

So it really comes down to two arguments. One side will claim that getting comprehensive coverage of daily NHL action for “four easy payments of $42.95” isn’t that bad of a value, really. After all, you can blow that much money on a couple of seats to a live game. That being said, others will remark that paying more than $160 for games with mediocre-at-best picture quality is absurd.

I’m not certain that I can personally afford either of the full coverage NHL options, but if I had to choose, I would go with NHL.com’s Game Center option. In my limited experience with the promotion last season, you can stream up to four games at once and (gasp) even get high definition feeds of many matchups. Considering the fact some fancy pants computers can hook up to your TV, Game Center might just be the better option for hardcore hockey fans.

We’ll keep an eye on developments for that service and possibly any other options for hockey fans hungry for extended coverage. And, no doubt, if Center Ice does improve their feeds we’ll pass that note along as well.

Sens demote former first-rounder Puempel

Matt Puempel
Leave a comment

Looks like Matt Puempel won’t be making the leap after all.

Puempel, the subject of Ottawa’s “looking to make the leap” profile during our Team of the Day series, has been sent down to AHL Binghamton one day prior to the Sens’ opener against Buffalo.

Puempel, taken by Ottawa in the first round (24th overall) at the ’11 draft, made his big-league debut last season and looked as though he’d stick around — only to suffer a high ankle sprain after 13 games, and miss the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old came into this year’s camp looking to secure a full-time position at the big league level, but was beaten out by Shane Prince for the final forward spot on the roster.

To be fair, contract status probably played a role. Prince would’ve had to clear waivers to get down to Bingo, whereas Puempel didn’t.

A former 30-goal scorer in the American League, Puempel is expected to get another look with Ottawa this season.

Report: Torres won’t appeal 41-game suspension


Sounds like Raffi Torres is accepting his punishment.

Per Sportsnet, Torres won’t appeal his 41-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Anaheim’s Jakob Silfverberg.

The report comes just days after the NHL’s Department of Player Safety levied one of the longest disciplinary rulings in league history, citing both the severity of the Silfverberg hit and Torres’ lengthy history of suspensions, fines and warnings.

There was some thought, however, that Torres would try to challenge the ruling.


He does have a history of success in that department. In 2012,Torres successfully appealed his suspension for a headshot on Chicago’s Marian Hossa, and had his punishment reduced from 25 games to 21.

Torres also isn’t considered a “repeat offender” under the current collective bargaining agreement, as his last suspension came in 2013.

Of course, part of that clean record is due to the fact he hasn’t played much. Torres has largely been sidelined by injury for the last two seasons, missing all of last year with knee problems.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman delved further into the repeat offender thing in his latest 30 Thoughts column:

If you read the relevant sections of the CBA, the league takes the position that the repeat offender status is only applicable to fines. Repeaters are fined on a per-game basis, non-repeaters on a per-day basis. (The former is more expensive, because there are fewer games than days in an NHL season.) However, if you go to Section 18.2, among the factors taken into account are, “the status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct.”

So, in the NHL’s view, a player’s history is relevant, even if longer than 18 months ago.

Should the report prove accurate and Torres doesn’t appeal, he will be eligible to return to action on Jan. 14, when the Sharks take on the Oilers.