At one point quite a few years ago, scouts touted Angelo Esposito as a top notch prospect. Since then, Esposito’s star power plummeted to earth dramatically.
He went from a possible top pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ at No. 20 overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and hasn’t had any luck since then. Considering the fact that he is coming off of ACL surgery, it’s not crazy to wonder if Esposito will ultimately just be part of the answer to the “Who did the Atlanta Thrashers get back in the Marian Hossa trade?” trivia question.
“I don’t think he’s a 200-point scorer. The expectations, from a province [Quebec] so hockey-crazed, built him up into something he shouldn’t have been. I can tell you this: I’ve been impressed from the first day I met him. He’s genuine and hard-working and he gets along with everybody and works his [rear end] off all the time.”
Dudley also wanted to dispel another notion about Esposito that has become widespread and perhaps was among the factors that caused him to fall from a potential No. 1 overall pick to No. 20 where he was selected by Pittsburgh in 2007. Esposito, Dudley said, is not a prima donna.
“Nothing like that at all,” he said. “He’s one of the best kids. He wants nothing more than to play. Give him a role and he’ll do it.”
Though he’s been through a lot of turmoil for a player his age, it’s important to remember that Esposito is only 21-years-old. The Thrashers have seen some dramatic changes and a clear youth movement with forwards such as Evander Kane and Patrice Cormier coming to the forefront. With new general manager Rick Dudley taking over this summer, Esposito might have another chance to make good on what might be considerable untapped potential … or a lot of hot air.
If he’s not a prima donna as many feared, then it would be pretty hard to root against the hard-luck prospect.
Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp
It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.
Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.
Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.
The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension
The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.
It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.
Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.