The Blackhawks have their new man in goal and today they introduced him to the fans in Chicago and around the world. Marty Turco will be the man between the pipes this year, and his expectations are high. After a couple of disappointing seasons in Dallas, Turco wants the Cup and he’s hoping he can do that with the Blackhawks as Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago finds out.
Turco’s name doesn’t appear on the Stanley Cup after playing in Dallas for a decade. He chose Chicago to help change that.
“There’s been a career long drought in the NHL for me,” Turco said at a Tuesday news conference. “I’ve never won a Stanley Cup. … I’ve only played in the Western Conference finals once. That’s why I play the game. … These are things that bug me when I go to bed at night and make me focus when I get up in the morning.”
Turco immediately thought of the Hawks when his season ended and knew he would not be returning to the Stars. Hawks general manager Stan Bowman told his agent to be patient and things might just work out. When an arbitrator ruled Antti Niemi deserved more than the Hawks had, Bowman moved on Turco.
“We’ve been on the other end of trying to beat him for a while,” Bowman said. “Now that we have him on our side we have a lot to look forward to.”
While Turco will have a lot demanded of him this year playing for a team hoping to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, his play is going to have to be stellar considering that the Blackhawks are playing like acrobats without a net so to speak. Corey Crawford is slated to be Turco’s backup this year and only Hannu Toivonen will be in the AHL to further back things up. If Turco continues to be inconsistent the way he was in Dallas the last couple of years, the Blackhawks will find life to be difficult this season.
For now, the Hawks are excited and Turco should be motivated and ready to go.
Here’s video of today’s press conference courtesy of the Blackhawks.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.