Former Sabres forward Tim Kennedy grows up, looks for a new team

Thumbnail image for timkennedy1.jpgThe weird, wild and disappointing summer for former Sabres forward Tim Kennedy plods along quietly, much to his dismay. After winning a million dollar award in arbitration from the Buffalo Sabres, Kennedy was waived and had his contract bought out making him an unrestricted free agent. If you haven’t been paying attention this off-season, being a free agent of any kind hasn’t been an easy job and for the young Kennedy, it’s been frustrating especially after such a bizarre situation with the Sabres as Bucky Gleason of The Buffalo News details.

For what it’s worth, Kennedy no longer harbors resentment toward the Sabres. Yes, he was hurt and confused after they waived him and bought out a $1 million award he received in arbitration. Their decision to send him packing knocked him for a pretty good loop.

Once the shock and frustration subsided, he plowed forward without wasting time and energy on what couldn’t be undone. He had his reasons for taking them to arbitration, which was within his rights. His refusal to back down from the Sabres is part of what makes him a good player. But their response also was within their rights, no matter how classless it appeared.

“I’m not mad at them,” Kennedy said. “I’m 24 years old. I’m a professional athlete, and I have to act like one. .‚.‚. Maybe it was the right call and maybe it wasn’t the right call. I made the choice to go, and I live with that choice.”

Those are pretty mature words from Kennedy which means he’s at least got a good head on his shoulders. As for who might be looking at Kennedy, there is certainly interest in the former Michigan State product and Buffalo native.

Kennedy said five teams are interested, although he wouldn’t reveal which ones. Toronto figures to be in the mix along with Columbus, Los Angeles, Phoenix and possibly Atlanta. All are looking for good, young forwards to fill their needs for the right price. He’s looking for the right fit.

You can probably cut Toronto off that list presumably after they signed fellow arbitration victim Clarke MacArthur yesterday to a one-year contract. As for the other teams mentioned there, they all certainly could use the depth that Kennedy would provide to them, but what you could reasonably expect to get out of Kennedy on the ice is still relatively unknown considering last year was his first real shot at considerable minutes on the ice. Kennedy finished last year with 10 goals and 16 assists in 78 games with the Sabres.

Scroll Down For:

    Trevor Daley surprises young hockey players, firefighters with Stanley Cup visit

    1 Comment

    Trevor Daley had his day with the Stanley Cup on Saturday, taking it through Toronto, surprising young hockey players at a local rink and firefighters at a local station.

    He also held a private viewing party for family and friends inside a local bar, as per the Toronto Sun.

    Daley’s post-season came to an end in the Eastern Conference Final when he suffered a broken ankle. His absence tested the depth of the Penguins blue line as the playoffs pressed on, but Pittsburgh was ultimately able to power its way to a championship.

    When Sidney Crosby handed off the Stanley Cup, the first player it went to was Daley, whose mother was battling cancer.

    “He had been through some different playoffs, but getting hurt at the time he did, knowing how important it was, he had told me that he went [to see] his mom in between series and stuff, she wasn’t doing well, she wanted to see him with the Cup,” said Crosby, as per Sportsnet.

    “That was important to her. I think that kind of stuck with me after he told me that. We were motivated to get it for him, even though he had to watch.”

    Daley’s mother passed away just over a week later.

    Ben Bishop shows off his new Team USA World Cup mask

    TAMPA, FL - JUNE 06: Ben Bishop #30 of the Tampa Bay Lightning looks on against the Chicago Blackhawks during Game Two of the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final at Amalie Arena on June 6, 2015 in Tampa, Florida.  (Photo by Scott Iskowitz/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    3 Comments

    Ben Bishop enjoyed plenty of success during the 2015-16 season and it didn’t go unnoticed. That’s why the veteran was selected to be part of Team USA for this fall’s World Cup of Hockey.

    Team USA is loaded in goal, as they’ll be bringing Bishop, Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick and New Jersey’s Cory Schneider. It’ll be interesting to see how the coaching staff approaches this situation heading into the tournament.

    Even if Bishop doesn’t start every game for Team USA, he can still say he has a pretty cool goalie mask for the occasion.

    On Saturday, Bishop took to Twitter to show off his new piece of equipment:

    That’s a pretty sweet mask!

    With arbitration hearing looming, Corrado and Leafs aren’t that far apart

    TORONTO, ON - MARCH 5:  Frank Corrado #20 of the Toronto Maple Leafs waits for a puck drop against the Ottawa Senators during an NHL game at the Air Canada Centre on March 5,2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The Senators defeated the Maple Leafs 3-2. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    Frank Corrado should be used to waiting by now. He had to wait 28 games before the Leafs inserted him into the lineup for the first time last season and now he’s waiting for a new contract.

    There’s still a gap between the two sides, but it doesn’t appear to be very significant. Corrado and the Leafs will head to arbitration on July 26th unless the two sides can agree to a new deal before then.

    According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, The Leafs have two different offers on the table. One is a two-way contract, while the other is a one-way deal that would see him make less money if he sticks in the NHL. Corrado is looking for a one-way deal worth $900,000.

    Toronto scooped Corrado up off waivers from the Canucks prior to the start of the 2015-16 season. Despite waiting a while to actually hit the ice as a Leaf, Corrado finished the season with one goal, six points and a minus-12 rating in 39 games. He averaged 14:27 of ice time.

    Splitting the difference would result in Corrado making roughly $737,500 next season.

    The Maple Leafs are also scheduled to go to arbitration with forward Peter Holland (July 25) and defeseman Martin Marincin (Aug. 2).

    Blues GM: We may take ‘half a step back,’ while young veterans grow into leadership roles

    DALLAS, TX - MARCH 12:  Alex Pietrangelo #27 of the St. Louis Blues celebrates with Jaden Schwartz #17 of the St. Louis Blues, Dmitrij Jaskin #23 of the St. Louis Blues and Jori Lehtera #12 of the St. Louis Blues after scoring the game-winning goal against the Dallas Stars in overtime at American Airlines Center on March 12, 2016 in Dallas, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    2 Comments

    After a few early exits from the Stanley Cup playoffs, the St. Louis Blues were finally able to make a long run. Granted, they didn’t win the Stanley Cup or make it to the final, but they did manage to reach the Western Conference Final.

    Unfortunately for the Blues (and a lot of other teams), the NHL’s salary cap number didn’t increase very much and it forced the organization to part ways with a number of key veterans. Gone are captain David Backes, winger Troy Brouwer and goalie Brian Elliott.

    There could be even more change between now and the start of the year, as Kevin Shattenkirk could find himself elsewhere.

    Those key departures mean that the Blues will need some of their younger players to step up and take on more of a leadership role starting this fall. How will the team respond? Nobody knows, not even GM Doug Armstrong.

    “It’s going to be an interesting case study on how quickly this group takes up the leadership,” Armstrong said, per the Boston Globe. “Can they do it in September? Or does it take them a year? There’s certainly a faith that over time, they’re going to pick it up without any issue. Obviously you want them to pick it up as quickly as possible. We don’t want to take any backwards movement in our organization. But sometimes you do expose yourself to maybe taking half a step back to take a couple steps forward.”

    Young leaders like Vladimir Tarasenko, Jaden Schwartz and Alex Pietrangelo will need to “step up” in the leadership department, but the Blues aren’t completely out of veterans. Jay Bouwmeester, Paul Stastny and Alex Steen are all still on the roster. Still, it’ll be interesting to see if the Blues take that “half step back” that Armstrong was talking about.

    Related:

    Jake Allen still needs to prove he’s a ‘legit’ number one goalie

    Blues sign Schwartz to five-year deal

    Backes doesn’t want to ‘sling mud’ at Blues on his way out