Day 1 of NHL research and development camp sees hits and misses with rules

5 Comments

Day one of the NHL’s Research and Development Camp has come and gone now and folks are sounding off about just what it was they were seeing, innovation-wise, on the ice in Toronto. With such a huge list of things to run through in the two days of the camp, times figure to be busy and intriguing.

With a host of NHL authority figures and media on to watch the proceedings, curiosity as to how these potential rule changes could play out in reality is sky high. Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press had these observations, including how warmly received the test run for “hybrid” icing went.

The proposed change gives linesmen the ability to make a ruling on whether a play will be called icing based on which player reaches the faceoff dot first — rather than who is first to touch the puck.

“Anything we can do with icing to protect our players we should do,” Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray said Wednesday. “If the linesman can make the call earlier, then obviously it will benefit the good players in our league.”

Ken Hitchcock is coaching one of the teams participating in the camp and believes the hybrid icing rule belongs in the NHL.

“It’s a competitive and safe way of playing,” said Hitchcock. “You would almost completely eliminate those big injuries that come and yet you’re still creating the competition for (the puck). … For me, it’s a real good idea.

“There’s no worse feeling than what happened to a guy like Kurtis Foster.”

Kurtis Foster, then of the Minnesota Wild, infamously had his leg broken grotesquely in pursuit of a puck with Torrey Mitchell of the Sharks on a potential icing call. Since then, the league has instituted penalties for hitting players into the boards on icing calls to help player safety.

What “hybrid” icing would do is institute a brand of no-touch icing where if the defending player beats the opponent to the face-off circle chasing a puck down for icing, it would be called immediately without touching up the puck. If the opponent beats the defending team to the puck, icing is waived off and play continues.

One intriguing thing tested out was altering the face-off circles in the attack zones, making it so there was only one circle in the zone and it would be set right in the slot in front of the net. The thinking of doing that there is that it would make teams think twice about freezing the puck in their own end. It also has the crazy effect of making the attack zone look like the portrait of a Cyclops. Panthers GM Dale Tallon was not a fan of this innovation.

“You lose the intensity and the strength,” said Florida Panthers GM
Dale Tallon. “There’s got to be more to it than just finesse. Guys are
going to cheat on that anyway.

“I just like the way it is.”

One thing that was played around with a bit today were different variances of how to play in overtime. David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail divulges that these were not quite as big a hit with coaches.

Also drawing some praise was a twist on the NHL’s regular-season overtime. The session started with three minutes of four-on-four play, followed by three minutes of three-on-three and then three minutes of two-on-two. There was more offence created in the three-on-three session but the two-on-two looked gimmicky. [Sens GM Bryan] Murray agreed.

However, [Ken] Hitchcock, who is even more renowned for his love of defensive hockey than Murray, disagreed. He thinks NHL coaches have managed to slow down regular-season overtime because they would rather take their chances in the shootout.

“Too many times in our league we have ways of making sure we keep four-on-four a non-scoring event so we get into a shootout,” Hitchcock said. “Two-on-two was a little bit gimmicky but when it went three-on-three it was in the net. In the NHL in overtime three-on three, I don’t think you would get to many shootouts. It would be in somebody’s net for sure.”

Whether you enjoy the shootout is a matter of personal taste, of course, but having seasons decided on what amounts to be a practice ritual and pastime during the All-Star Game skills competition is a bit maddening. As for what NHL Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and man in charge of the two-day event, Brendan Shanahan thought about the first day of action, here’s a video with Shanny discussing how he saw things.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed.swf

Day two of the camp proves to get more interesting on its own as we’ll see the controversial rule enacting icing on the penalty kill tested out among other things. We’ll have more reactions and video tomorrow from day two of the camp.

(Photos: Matthew Manor – Getty Images)

Callahan (hip) will be fine for start of training camp

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ryan Callahan could only play in 18 games last season and underwent two hip surgeries, but perhaps 2017-18 will be different. The news is certainly good so far.

“I’m full go, right from Day One,” Callahan told the NHL.com. “It’s going to be nice to be able to do a hard training camp this year.”

His statement was reinforced by the fact that he participated in the first day of voluntary workouts on Monday.

Tampa Bay signed him to a six-year, $34.8 million contract in the summer of 2014 and while he was great for the first year of the deal, he declined in 2015-16 and then of course barely played last season. That’s led to concerns that the 32-year-old’s contract might prove to be disastrous in its back half.

“I know there’s chatter and people doubt me — if I can come back and what I’ll be like when I come back,” Callahan said. “I’ve always tried to use it as motivation. That’s how they propelled me to the place I am right now in my career. I’m looking at this the same way. I’m excited to get going this year. I think it’s going to be one of the best years I’ve ever had.”

Tampa Bay could certainly use the help. The Lightning fell short of the playoffs last season, but also missed Steven Stamkos for much of the campaign as well as Callahan. If those two stay healthy and if Callahan bounces back then Tampa Bay could be one of the major contenders in 2017-18.

Report: Flames might have interest in Jagr

Getty Images
Leave a comment

We’re mere weeks away from the start of training camp, but Jaromir Jagr remains unsigned. Even at the age of 45 he can still contribute as he did last season with Florida, but is there a team out there that ultimately will pay the future Hall of Famer to extend his NHL career?

That remains to be seen, but it sounds like there is some interest out there for his services.

“I know some teams that have kind of talked and taken a look at it,” said Elliotte Friedman on the NHL Network (H/T to FanRag Sports). “I think Calgary has been one that has kind of looked at it. One of his former coaches, Glen Gulutzan, is coaching up there.”

Friedman also heard teams suggesting that Anaheim might be interested in Jagr, but based on his own investigation that doesn’t appear to be the case. Ultimately Jagr might end up starting the season in the Czech Republic and would have the option of playing in the Olympics if that happens, but even if he does begin the year in Europe, he could still re-sign with an NHL squad later on in the 2017-18 campaign.

Jagr is the second all-time player in terms of total points and third in goals behind Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky. If he did play another season, the main statistical achievement that he could chase would be fourth place on the assists list as he’s 20 behind Ray Bourque.

He finished the 2016-17 campaign with 16 goals and 46 points in 82 contests.

Related: The case for Hurricanes signing Jaromir Jagr

Under Pressure: Ryan Murray

Getty Images
1 Comment

This post is part of Blue Jackets Day on PHT…

The Blue Jackets were naturally hoping for great things when they took Ryan Murray with the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, but he’ll turn 24-years-old in September and so far he hasn’t consistently lived up to those early expectations.

To be sure, he’s had some bad luck along the way. He suffered a torn labrum while playing in the juniors during the 2012-13 campaign and in the years that’s followed he’s been limited at times by knee and ankle problems. Most recently he missed the last 15 games of the regular season and the Jackets’ playoff run due to a broken hand.

Injuries haven’t been Murray’s only issue though. While they’ve resulted in setbacks along the way, when he was healthy last season he still wasn’t living up to expectations. Seth Jones, David Savard, Jack Johnson, and rookie phenom Zach Werenski served as Columbus’ defensive core while Murray was relegated to more of a supporting role.

That top-four core isn’t particularly old either as Johnson is the most senior member at the age of 30. Johnson is on the final season of his contract, but unless the Blue Jackets can’t re-sign him, Murray has no simple path back into prominence. He’ll have to get there through merit alone and he’ll want to demonstrate his ability to do so this season given that he’ll be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2018.

“It’s a big summer for Ryan; for him and for us,” Blue Jackets president John Davidson noted to the Columbus Dispatch in April. “He knows it. We’ve had good talks with him. He’s had good talks with our strength and conditioning people, our doctors.

“He’s a good hockey player, and we’ve seen some good things from him. He’s had bad injury luck without question, but he’s going to overcome that. He’s at the age now where he’s not a young pup.”

Players at his age are still typically regarded as having upside, but also beginning to transition away from the point where they’re regarded as prospects. There won’t be many more years where Murray will be looked at as a potential top defenseman if he doesn’t force himself into that role soon.

Alfredsson left front office job with Sens to be ‘stay-at-home dad for a while’

Getty
1 Comment

Many people were surprised to see Daniel Alfredsson leave his role as senior advisor of hockey operations with the Ottawa Senators.

The reason for his departure was unclear at the time (he walked away in July), but he finally spoke to the Ottawa Sun during a golf tournament on Monday.

“I have a couple of projects on the go, but nothing major,” said Alfredsson, who added that he wants to be a “stay-at-home dad for a while.”

“Once school starts, it’s full on with activities with the kids. We’re moving into a new house here in the fall, so we have a lot of planning to do with that. So, it’s going to be a quiet year for me, overall.”

The 44-year-old, who has four boys, is moving into a new house in Ottawa, and says the family will live there for the foreseeable future.

Despite stepping away from the NHL for now, he also admitted that he wouldn’t mind jumping back into a team’s front office if the right opportunity presented itself.

“If that opportunity would come back again, I would look at it very hard. It’s what I know best. It’s what I love, as well. I can see that in the future at some point. But when, I don’t know.”

Alfredsson spent all but one of his 17 seasons playing for the Sens. He put up 444 goals and 1157 points in 1246 contests with Ottawa and Detroit.