Marc Savard "hurt" by Bruins' efforts to trade him


Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Savard3.jpgWhile things have calmed down on the Marc Savard trade market as far as we can tell, that doesn’t necessarily mean that all is well with Marc Savard. For the better part of the last two months, rumors have swirled around about the possibility of the Bruins dealing one of their top point producers over the last few seasons. Reasons for why the Bruins would deal him have either focused on the Bruins future salary cap crunch or with supposed issues about how Savard handled questions about his role in the too many men on the ice penalty he took in Game 7 against the Flyers in the second round of the playoffs.

Whether it’s a money crunch or a question of character is all wild speculation at this point, but unsurprisingly the rumors have left a bad taste in the mouth of the Bruins star as the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch found out.

“They hurt me a little bit just because I went to Boston and I helped to build that team back up,” Savard said in an interview Friday — his first public comments since the rumours surfaced. “Since I’ve been there, I’ve really tried to work hard with the young guys and being a core player. I was really focused on staying there for the rest of my career. To hear all this stuff this summer bothered me inside more than anything else.” Savard expects to return to Boston. “Right now I’m a Bruin and that’s the way it is,” he said. “(But) it’s been tough.”

Being the focus of trade rumors is never easy, especially after you’ve just signed a contract extension with the team in December that includes a more stringent no-trade clause and a team-friendly salary cap hit (that may or may not be totally legal). While we’re figuring that Savard will stay with the Bruins, you can’t help but wonder where a player’s mental state is at when the team you committed to is/was actively shopping you just months after signing an extension. Next season, should Savard be playing it in Boston, will be a curious test of his mental mettle.

Glencross released from another PTO, this time by Avs

Washington Capitals v Ottawa Senators
1 Comment

Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.

Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.

While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.

A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.

Slepyshev earns final Oilers roster spot; Draisaitl to AHL

Anton Slepyshev, Anton Lander
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers have assigned center Leon Draisaitl to AHL Bakersfield.

The demotion of Draisaitl, 19, means 21-year-old rookie Anton Slepyshev has made the opening-day roster after scoring twice and adding two assists in exhibition action.

The Oilers experimented during the preseason with Draisaitl, a natural center, on the wing. He didn’t have a particularly poor camp, finishing with one goal and three assists in six games.

But Slepyshev apparently impressed more.

“He’s a young player but he’s played pro hockey before,” coach Todd McLellan told the Edmonton Journal. “You can see it.”

Slepyshev played 58 games in the KHL last season, scoring 15 goals for Salavat Yulaev Ufa.