Unsurprising news: Agent doesn't approve of Kovalchuk contract ruling

You had to know this was coming at some point in the wake of Richard Bloch’s ruling in favor of the NHL over the NHLPA regarding Ilya Kovalchuk’s nixed contract with the Devils. It’s just a little surprising that it took this long to get a response at all. NHL agent Kurt Overhardt sounded off about the Kovalchuk contract fiasco and he’s none too pleased about how things shook out as Elliott Pap at The Vancouver Sun found out.

“What basis did [Bloch] give?” Overhardt said. “What did he hang his hat on? The decision was completely subjective. There was no bad faith found between the parties, There was nothing within the collective bargaining agreement that he found was actually in violation of the document. So, therefore, logic and law and the facts dictate the contract should have been upheld.”

Overhardt also offered his opinion on a possible voiding of the Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa, Marc Savard and Chris Pronger deals, which are heavily front-loaded as well.

“Any and all speculation that the league is going to claw back these other contracts … would be in complete violation of the collective bargaining agreement and it would be a complete infringement of the players’ rights under the CBA,” said Overhardt. “Any attempt to do so would be absolutely predatory behaviour by the league, would be in bad faith and not in the spirit of the CBA.”

A lot of what Overhardt is saying here is similar to what we mentioned last night in discussing how Bloch’s decisions seemed to be making assumptions about previous assumptions regarding any long-term contract signed. With that much gray area floating around it’s easy to weave in and out of decisions either way. Leaving things open for interpretation allows you to go around and fix issues “easier” when needed. Hey, it worked for the Constitution, right?

All right, for some legal documents it works out really well, in this case with the NHL it works however the law decides to bend it. In this case, it works really well for the owners and with the NHL looking a little closer at other obscene contracts, it could work to the owners benefit even more. As for players agents, seeing their clients get put through the wringer even after having an agreed-upon contract is an especially bitter pill to be force-fed, especially when it takes money out of their pockets as well.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.