Are the Kings interested in Marc Savard?

1 Comment

marcsavard7.jpgIt’s been almost a little too quiet on the Marc Savard trade rumor front lately. After some steady speculation all through the month of June about possible destinations in either Toronto or Ottawa for the Bruins centerman, a new contender has emerged from the shadows according to Jimmy Murphy of

But while the market for [Michael] Ryder is silent, the market for Marc Savard has heat up again, and the Los Angeles Kings are again a team that keeps getting mentioned. Sources confirmed to on Thursday night that the Kings are looking for another top 6 forward and a depth defenseman. The same source mentioned Savard as a player the Kings are targeting.

The Bruins would like another scoring winger and puck-moving defenseman. Is there a match there? We shall see, but should this rumor continue to gain steam, expect Bruins blueliners Mark Stuart and Matt Hunwick to be mentioned as possible defensemen the Kings would covet.

The Kings would love to add another scorer up front and Savard would make for a tantalizing pickup as he’d slot in nicely as a 1B option at center to join Anze Kopitar already slotted in as 1A. After adding Alexei Ponikarovsky to help soften the blow of losing out on Ilya Kovalchuk, the Kings could use just a bit more in their top six forwards.

Right now, Jarret Stoll is set up to be the second line center and while he’s a nice player, for a team that’s on the precipice of doing great things, he isn’t an ideal solution to be your second line centerman. Savard would change that dynamic entirely and potentially help an up and coming young forward like Wayne Simmonds break out even more than he did last year or shake the cobwebs off of fragile scoring wing Justin Williams.

Could the Kings provide the Bruins with what they’d look for in return? Potentially, but Matt Greene’s shoulder surgery could affect the immediate decision making of the Kings as their defensive depth isn’t quite as solid without Greene in the lineup. Greene is slated to miss three or four months in rehabilitating the injury and as of now, the Kings are slated to go with a bit of a youth movement along the blueline if they stick with what they’ve got. Then again, there’s Kings GM Dean Lombardi who isn’t one to make a rash decision on anything. Well, it’s fun to think about at least.

Lucic: If I wanted to hurt Couture, ‘I would have hurt him’


Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.

Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.

This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.

“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”

While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”

And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.

Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.

In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.

Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks

Torres apologizes to Silfverberg and Sharks


A statement from Raffi Torres:

“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”

A statement from San Jose GM Doug Wilson:

“The Sharks organization fully supports the NHL’s supplementary discipline decision regarding Raffi. While we do not believe there was any malicious intent, this type of hit is unacceptable and has no place in our game. There is a difference between playing hard and crossing the line and there is no doubt, in this instance, Raffi crossed that line. We’re very thankful that Jakob was not seriously injured as a result of this play.”

Silfverberg says he expects to play Saturday when the Ducks open their regular season Saturday in San Jose.