Let’s take a look at three restricted free agent contract talks in limbo at this point.
According to his agent, Mark Guy of Newport Sports Management, the sides haven’t had any recent discussions. But don’t read that as an invitation to spring an offer sheet on the power forward.
“Bobby wants to remain in Anaheim and they want him there,” Guy told Sporting News.
According to the Orange County Register, the Ducks have offered Ryan a five-year deal worth $25 million, but Ryan would prefer a shorter deal.
And the reality is, the Ducks would likely match any offer sheet given to Ryan. One GM in a similar position joked that he’d send a thank-you note to the team that negotiated a deal with his restricted free agent because it saved him the work. The Ducks are likely in that position, considering they have plenty of cap space ($15.5 million, according to capgeek.com).
I’ll be more specific about which team(s) should still target Ryan on Saturday, but I’m surprised that no one is sniffing around the talented American forward.
- The Dallas Stars have two restricted free agents in similar situations, with rock-solid defenseman Nicklas Grossman and budding power forward James Neal (in the photo above) both hoping for new deals. Stars beat writer Mike Heika reports that “there isn’t much to talk about” between Neal and Dallas – possibly because they’re aching for a comparable contract – but there has been a lot more progress in the Grossman negotiations.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano and Meehan have been talking quite a bit about Grossman, but they had to take a break this week while the Stars prepared for the Fabian Brunnstrom arbitration case (which will be heard today in Toronto). Meehan said he fully expects to get back into talks next week.
I believe the Stars are shooting for about $2 million a year on Grossman.
Personally, I think that would be a great value for the blueline-challenged Stars. We’ll keep you up to date on the conversations about each of those three RFAs, as well as the other players looking for a team (old or new) this summer.
Less than a week after falling two places to fifth in the NHL draft lottery, the Vancouver Canucks have reportedly received more bad news: NCAA free agent forward Drake Caggiula will not be signing in Vancouver.
That’s according to reports from TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman on Friday. Not only are the Canucks supposedly out of the running, but so, too, are the Ottawa Senators, according to Friedman.
It was suggested earlier in the day that the Canucks could be front-runners for Caggiula, who played at North Dakota with Vancouver’s 2015 first-round pick Brock Boeser and recent college signing Troy Stecher.
The ill will between the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning has continued early in Game 4 on Friday.
It started with a scuffle in front of the Tampa Bay net after Islanders forward Steve Bernier fell over Ben Bishop, appearing to push downward with his stick as the Lightning goalie covered the puck.
Anxious few seconds there for the Lightning, as Bishop, appearing to favor the back of his head, was slow to get back to his skates. He has remained in the game.
The Islanders, needing a win to even the series, broke through for the game’s opening goal. Kyle Okposo ripped a shot from the slot that beat Bishop on the glove side late in the ensuing power play following the aforementioned heated gathering.
Related: WATCH LIVE: Lightning and Islanders — Game 4
There is only one game on the playoff schedule tonight, but it’s a crucial Game 4 between the New York Islanders and Tampa Bay Lightning. The Islanders are looking to even the series at two games apiece before it shifts back to Tampa Bay for Game 5.
You can catch Game 4 between the Lightning and Islanders on NBCSN (7 p.m. ET) or online with the NBC Sports’ Live Extra.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE
Here are some links to check out for tonight’s game:
Isles need ‘a short memory,’ can’t get hung up on Game 3 disappointment
Andreychuk confident that Stamkos will re-sign in Tampa Bay
No hearings scheduled for Boyle on Hickey hit, or Hickey on Drouin hit
In an emotional farewell ceremony to Edmonton’s Rexall Place last month, organizers somehow overlooked one rather significant detail about a former WHA player.
We will let the Oilers explain:
Oilers Entertainment Group would like to issue a formal apology to former Edmonton Oiler (WHA) Roger Cote and his family. In a special segment during the Farewell Rexall Place Night on April 6, 2016, the organization honoured members of the Oilers Alumni who have unfortunately passed on. In an extreme oversight and error, we included Mr. Cote in that portion of the program. Roger is alive and well, living in Garson, Ontario. For this action and any confusion or pain it caused Mr. Cote and his family and friends, we sincerely apologize.
In addition to recognizing the error and issuing an apology, the Oilers added that they will be hosting Cote and his son at a game at Rogers Place next season.
Cote played two seasons for Edmonton during the WHA days.
The ceremony following the final game at Rexall Place involved more than 150 Oilers alumni members, staff and special guests, as well as current members of the organization, according to the Oilers.