Kings would be interested in re-pursuing Kovalchuk

kovalchukpressconf2.jpgThe fun part to an ongoing controversy is how it can find new and inventive ways to blow up a little more each and every day. While the league has done more than it’s part to stir up a hornet’s nest by rejecting Ilya Kovalchuk’s contract with the New Jersey Devils, when one door sort of closes another one sort of opens.

It only makes sense that if things with the Devils, NHL and Kovalchuk blow up completely and irreparably that the other suitor for Kovalchuk, the Los Angeles Kings, would be right there to potentially save the day. Helene Thomas of the Los Angeles Times drops some knowledge on us.

The Kings would again be interested in signing high-scoring winger Ilya Kovalchuk if the NHL’s rejection of his 17-year, $102-million contract with the New Jersey Devils stands and he becomes a free agent, a source familiar with the team’s thinking but not authorized to comment publicly said Wednesday.

Before the Kings can rekindle their dreams, a series of steps must be followed as a result of the NHL’s attempt to discourage teams from front-loading big contracts to minimize the charge against the salary cap and paying players past the point at which they could reasonably expect to be effective.

There’s only about a thousand steps in the way before the Kings can even comprehend getting back involved with Kovalchuk, and all of those things have to do with the Devils, Lou Lamoriello and the NHLPA. Kings GM Dean Lombardi did say earlier that if things get back to the point where Kovalchuk is ruled to be an unrestricted free agent once again that they’d be interested in the superstar winger.

I’d like to say that this seems like it would be a long shot and a half but given everything that’s transpired through this entire incredible saga, I can’t rule anything out from happening. At this point, I wouldn’t even rule out the possibility of Kovalchuk being abducted by aliens and playing on Mars.

Kassian sent to hospital after being involved in car accident

Scott Darling, Zack Kassian

Montreal Canadiens winger Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident early Sunday morning.

According to the Montreal Gazette, Kassian was a passenger in the vehicle that crashed into a tree.

The SUV was being driven by a 20-year-old female at the time of the accident.

Montreal police confirmed that speed didn’t play a factor in the collision, but alcohol may have.

The Canadiens have since confirmed the incident took place and have also mentioned that Kassian was taken to hospital.

A club official described his injuries as being “minor”.

“(Kassian) was all bloodied up and stuff. He was in a daze,” said Steve Petrenko, a resident of the street on which the accident took place. “He had a hard time walking, and he almost took a fall.”

This story will be updated when more information is made available.

Habs and Fleischmann agree on one-year deal

Tomas Fleischmann,
1 Comment

The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have signed Tomas Fleischmann to a one-year contract.

According to TVA Sports, the deal is worth $750,000.

The 31-year-old was invited to camp on a professional tryout, but his preseason performance showed that he could still contribute at the NHL level.

Fleischmann found instant chemistry with new linemates David Desharnais and Dale Weise, and it looks like the trio will open the regular season as Montreal’s third line.

The veteran winger started  last season with Florida, but was traded to Anaheim on Feb. 28. He had a hard time cracking the Duck’s lineup and was a healthy scratch in most of their playoff games last spring.

Fleischmann scored eight goals and 27 points in 66 games last season.