The Atlanta Thrashers have locked down their goaltending for next season. After signing former Blues goalie Chris Mason earlier in this free agency period, they’ve announced today that they’ve re-signed incumbent starter Ondrej Pavelec. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the details.
Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Thrashers. Pavelec was quoted on a Website in the Czech Republic about the deal and his agent, Allan Walsh, confirmed the agreement this morning via Twitter.
No deal has been signed yet, but the terms have been agreed to. According to the report the total deal is worth $2.3 million.
“This corresponds to my performance. I’m quite happy it turned out according to my expectations,” Pavelec told the Website iDNES.cz.
For the Thrashers, having two good goaltenders in the mix is a great thing. With the way the roster has been altered in the off-season by adding so many players from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, making sure you’ve got goaltending you can count on is a huge weight off the shoulders of new head coach Craig Ramsay.
Pavelec was at one point viewed as the goalie of the Thrashers future and after the team traded Kari Lehtonen last year, it seemed like that would be the case. Now with the addition of Mason, it appears a two-headed attack in goal will be the way the Thrashers will go in the meantime. Keep in mind, Pavelec is just 22 years-old and having a steadier goalie like Chris Mason to show him some of the tricks of the trade will only be a benefit.
Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.
Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.
This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.
“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”
While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”
And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.
Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.
In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.
Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks
A statement from Raffi Torres:
“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”
A statement from San Jose GM Doug Wilson:
“The Sharks organization fully supports the NHL’s supplementary discipline decision regarding Raffi. While we do not believe there was any malicious intent, this type of hit is unacceptable and has no place in our game. There is a difference between playing hard and crossing the line and there is no doubt, in this instance, Raffi crossed that line. We’re very thankful that Jakob was not seriously injured as a result of this play.”
Silfverberg says he expects to play Saturday when the Ducks open their regular season Saturday in San Jose.