Mike Modano taking his time choosing his next destination

mikemodano4.jpgWhile Mike Modano won’t be going back to Dallas to play for the Stars, it appears he’s content to sit back and wait for teams to sort their situations out before getting antsy to sign somewhere else. The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika caught up with Modano to find out where he’s at while he’s searching for new employment on the ice.

Mike Modano has had his best conversations so far with Detroit, but neither side is ready to commit yet.

Modano said he is going to be patient, and said that as free agency shakes out, the picture will become more clear.

“It all came back in a rush, really,” he said. “I really have been through this before, so it’s not that new. There’s a lot more texting now, but you still just try to ask questions and answer what they want. It’s a lot of waiting around, that’s the tough part.”

As of now, Detroit is the only team to express any interest in Modano and being a Livonia, Michigan native probably has as much to do with that as it does with Modano still being a serviceable centerman even at 40 years-old. Modano being patient during free agency may have more to do with a lack of interest than it does anything else. As for what Wings GM Ken Holland thinks of Modano, his words are kind and honest as well.

“He’s a local boy, a (future) Hall of Famer, yeah, I’m interested,” Holland said. “We’ve had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end.”

Modano is likely only looking for a simple, one-year contract just to keep playing and he’d likely fit in well with what Detroit does on the ice and the Wings surely don’t shy away from veterans. That said, Detroit has to take care of some of their restricted free agents first and then shuffle things around if they’re going to bring in Modano. If he’s willing to wait that out, it could take some time before he settles in there. Until then, perhaps another suitor may come out of the woodwork that could more easily fit Modano into their plans.

Scroll Down For:

    Tough start: Lehner knocked out of Sabres debut, won’t return

    Matt Puempel, Alex Chiasson, Robin Lehner
    Leave a comment

    Chances are Robin Lehner won’t look back fondly on his first game as a Sabre.

    Midway through Buffalo’s season-opener against Ottawa, Lehner — facing his old team for the first time since getting traded this summer — suffered a lower-body injury, and was forced from the contest.

    During the second intermission, the Sabres ruled out Lehner for the night.

    It was a difficult turn of events for 24-year-old, who admitted he was keen to go up against the Sens. He had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about his time in the Canadian capital; Lehner felt he never got a full opportunity to run with the No. 1 gig, and probably wasn’t thrilled GM Bryan Murray opted to keep Craig Anderson and Andrew Hammond instead of him.

    As for tonight’s injury, details are scarce. All that’s known is the ailment was serious enough for Lehner to leave and not return, forcing backup Chad Johnson into duty.

    Prior to getting hurt, Lehner had stopped 11 of 12 shots faced.


    ‘Canes lose Wisniewski (lower body) 47 seconds into debut

    Phil Kessel, James Wisniewski
    Leave a comment

    James Wisniewski‘s time as a Carolina Hurricane is off to a troubling start.

    Wisniewski, acquired by the ‘Canes at this year’s draft, exited Thursday’s season-opener against Nashville early in the first period with a lower-body injury.

    Shortly thereafter, the team ruled out his return.

    Wisniewski, 31, was expected to play a fairly significant role on Carolina’s defense this year.

    It’s unclear what the injury is or how severe it might be, but initial reports don’t sound good; Wisniewski appeared to be in significant pain and had to be helped off the ice.