Flyers made offer for Marty Turco


Some interesting developments this morning as ESPN is reporting,
several times and by several different mediums, that the Philadelphia
Flyers have reached out and made an offer to impending free agent
goaltender Marty Turco. Supposedly the offer was for $2 million a year, a
far cry from the $5.8 million he made last season and certainly not the
paycut he was expecting to take.

When Turco was reached, he
acknowledged the offer before saying he’s willing to wait and see what
the free agency market shakes out to be.

This doesn’t sound right,
does it?

Technically, what the Flyers just did was tampering a
potential free agent. Technically, Marty Turco still belongs to the
Dallas Stars and other teams cannot enter into negotiations with a
player who is under contract with another team.

ESPN’s Pierre
LeBrun shakes this off and says it’s o.k., since the Dallas Stars “gave
permission” to the Flyers to make an offer to Turco. I still don’t
understand how that would work, since the Flyers wouldn’t be able to
sign him to that offer anyways, since he’s still under contract by the

One option would be that if Turco did agree with the
offer, then the Stars would likely trade his rights to Philadelphia in
exchange for a conditional draft pick. Even if that were the case, it
still feels as if the two teams are dancing on a fine line with

Talking with the media on Saturday after the draft, GM
Paul Holmgren was careful not to say anything that could be regarded as
tampering. When asked if he could negotiate with a player’s agent if he
had permission to and he was particularly vague about the answer.

going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. As far as this
actual issue stands, it doesn’t appear to be anything other than talk.
Despite the paycut he’ll have to take, Turco is going to make more than
$2 million next season; I can understand why he turned down that offer.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
1 Comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.