Senators could part ways with Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov

crosbybeatsspezza.jpgThe Ottawa Senators face another summer of trade/free agency rumors and there seems to be a little fire to go with the smoke.

TSN reports that Senators GM Bryan Murray confirmed that while Jason Spezza didn’t go out of his way to request a trade, he wouldn’t “object” to one either. That’s like two horny teenagers saying they wouldn’t mind seeing each other naked.

Ottawa Senators centre Jason Spezza ‘wouldn’t object’ to a trade if it happened, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters on Monday.

“He said he wouldn’t object to it,” Murray said. “He didn’t come in and say, ‘I have to be traded.’ He didn’t object to the fact that maybe it’s time – the way (he’s) been received – now maybe it’s time.”

Spezza has been the subject of trade rumours and speculation after the Senators since the team was elimiated in the first round of the playoffs. Adding more intrigue was a small fan rally on Parliament Hill over the weekend urging the Murray to keep the club’s No. 1 centre.

The story refers to the sparsely attended “Save Spezza” rally. It seems like even when Senators fans try to show their support for the disgruntled playmaking center, it ultimately comes off as a backhanded compliment. Personally, I enjoy watching him play, but considering his $7.5 million cap hit, it’s easy to understand why fans get frustrated with his lack of defensive commitment and abundant turnovers.

Murray also confirmed rumors that shot-blocking defenseman Anton Volchenkov is expected to depart the team via unrestricted free agency. Earlier this summer, I heard that the Capitals could be potential suitors; really, I think any team that needs a rugged, second-tier shutdown guy would greatly benefit from adding Volchenkov.

Expect all kinds of news this week as the NHL awards, Hall of Fame inductions and NHL Draft take place. We’ll keep you up-to-date every day, so say tuned.

Scroll Down For:

    Lightning re-sign journeyman forward Conacher

    Getty
    Leave a comment

    Cory Conacher has turned an impressive Calder Cup Playoffs run into a two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

    Per the club, it’s a one-way deal in the first season and a two-way deal in the second, paying $650,000 annually at the NHL level.

    Conacher, 27, had 12 goals and 16 assists in 22 playoff games as the Syracuse Crunch made it all the way to the 2017 Calder Cup Final.

    The undrafted and undersized forward was also productive during the regular season, racking up 60 points (17G, 43A) in 56 games for the Crunch and four points (1G, 3A) in 11 games for the Lightning.

    Conacher has been quite the traveler in recent years, making numerous stops in both NHL and AHL markets. He spent the 2015-16 season in Switzerland, before returning to North America to sign with the Bolts last summer.

    Sens keep Condon with three-year, $7.2 million extension

    Getty
    1 Comment

    Ottawa was thrilled with the way Mike Condon played last year.

    And so, they’ve rewarded him.

    Condon has signed a three-year, $7.2 million extension, the club announced on Monday. It carries a $2.4 million average annual cap hit, and makes him the only Sens goalie under contract beyond next season. Both Craig Anderson and Andrew Hammond are UFAs in 2018.

    Condon, 27, found stability in Ottawa after a whirlwind start to the year. He was waived by Montreal out of training camp and picked up by Pittsburgh, but only saw 20 minutes of action before the Sens acquired him.

    His acquisition was necessary after news broke that Anderson’s wife, Nicholle, had been diagnosed with cancer. And as Anderson took leaves from the team to be with his wife, Condon got plenty of opportunities to play, and found his groove.

    His first season in Ottawa featured several team records, including playing in a franchise-best 27 consecutive games between Dec. 1, 2016, and Feb. 4, 2017. He became the fastest goaltender in franchise history to record five shutouts, when he did so in his 32nd game on Feb. 16 versus the New Jersey Devils.

    That performance led some to speculate Condon would test the market this summer, possibly for a No. 1 gig somewhere — or, the opportunity to compete for one.

    That said, he and the Sens had started extension talks all the way back in February, suggesting both parties wanted to continue working together.

    This means that another potential UFA goalie is now off the market. With reports that Ryan Miller is on his way to Anaheim, the pool of available guys is now led by Brian Elliott, Steve Mason, Jonathan Bernier, Chad Johnson, Anders Nilsson, Darcy Kuemper and Ondrej Pavelec.

    Rangers reportedly on verge of re-signing Brendan Smith

    Getty
    Leave a comment

    The New York Rangers are “close to finalizing” a contract extension with defenseman Brendan Smith, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

    The deal is expected to be four years long with a cap hit of $4.35 million.

    Smith, 28, was traded from Detroit on Feb. 28, and the Rangers clearly liked what they saw.

    In the playoffs, Smith played all 12 games, averaging 19:41 of ice time while adding four assists and finishing a team-high plus-8.

    It remains to be seen if signing Smith makes it less likely that the Rangers pursue Kevin Shattenkirk in free agency.

    Don’t forget the Blueshirts got Anthony DeAngelo in the Derek Stepan trade, and DeAngelo’s game is quite similar to Shattenkirk’s — albeit far less proven at the NHL level.

    Related: Smith, Rangers still talking

    Report: Kings land Sabres goalie prospect Petersen

    Getty
    2 Comments

    Sounds like Cal Petersen is headed to Los Angeles.

    Per LA Kings Insider, Petersen — the star Notre Dame goalie taken by Buffalo at the 2013 draft — has decided to sign with the Kings when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 16.

    The decision comes just days after Petersen told the Sabres he wouldn’t be signing with them.

    “I’ve spoken to Cal. At this time I think he’s going to probably move to free agency and we’ll go from there,” GM Jason Botterill said, per the Buffalo News. “Disappointed, but we’ll move on.”

    Petersen, 22, is coming off a great junior year for the Fighting Irish. He went 23-12-5 with a .926 save percentage and 2.22 GAA, helping the club advance to the Frozen Four. Petersen was also named a finalist for this year’s Mike Richter Award, given annually to college hockey’s top goalie.

    In April, he was named to the U.S. team at the World Hockey Championships in France and Germany. He was one of three goalies on the squad — along with Connor Hellebuyck and Jimmy Howard — but didn’t appear in any games.

    In late May, Petersen announced he was forgoing his senior year at Notre Dame to turn pro, but declined to say which club he would be signing with. Buffalo’s rights to Petersen expire on Aug. 15.

    With the Kings, Petersen finds himself in a good situation. Jonathan Quick is entrenched as the No. 1, but turns 32 next season and missed most of last year with a groin injury. The backup battle will be between 30-year-old Jeff Zatkoff and 25-year-old Jack Campbell.

    Organizationally, the club doesn’t have a ton of depth. L.A. cut ties with Czech goalie Patrik Bartosak following his assault charges in a domestic violence case in 2015. Jack Flinn, 21, saw a bit of time with AHL Ontario last year, and the club has used draft picks on the likes of Alec Dillon and Matthew Villalta.