Canucks re-sign Cory Schneider to caddy Roberto Luongo

1-cschneider.jpgWhile we’re sure that the Andrew Raycroft years in Vancouver are going to be remembered fondly, it’s now time for the permanent prospect in the Canucks system to take over the role as Roberto Luongo’s backup. The Canucks locked in Cory Schneider to a new deal.

The Canucks agreed to terms with the former first-round draft pick on Wednesday. Schneider, 24, is expected to be Roberto Luongo’s caddy next season, after playing 10 NHL games over the last two seasons.

The Canucks are hoping that Schneider, a Marblehead, Mass., native, pushes Luongo, and creates more trade value in his first full-fledged NHL campaign. Luongo is under contracts for the next 12 years, while Schneider has dominated the American Hockey League for the last three seasons.

Schneider isn’t just an American, he’s also a former college kid as he played at Boston College. Schneider has been outstanding in the AHL with the Manitoba Moose posting fantastic numbers with the Moose through his last three seasons in the minors. As for the deal itself, it’s for two years worth a total of $1.8 million and it’s a one-way deal meaning that Schneider is there to stay or else he goes through waivers to go back down.

The only question remaining now is how many games will he get to start. Getting Roberto Luongo a break more often than not could pay off in the playoffs for the Canucks. Luongo this past season played in 68 games and that’s not counting all the work he had during the Olympics. The ultimate aim here for Vancouver should be to get Schneider about 20 starts during the year. If Luongo ends up playing in 70 games again, it’s detrimental to both him and Schneider because they’ll be on the opposite ends of wasting away.

Scroll Down For:

    ‘It was frustrating for me,’ says Tarasenko after struggling offensively versus Sharks

    SAN JOSE, CA - MAY 21:  Vladimir Tarasenko #91 of the St. Louis Blues in game four of the Western Conference Finals against the San Jose Sharks during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at HP Pavilion on May 21, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    St. Louis Blues star Vladimir Tarasenko has opened up about his play in the Western Conference Final versus the San Jose Sharks, who held the talented forward off the score sheet in five of six games.

    It wasn’t until the third period of Game 6 that Tarasenko finally broke his slump, scoring twice as St. Louis tried one last desperation comeback attempt. It didn’t work. The Blues were eliminated and the Sharks are in the Stanley Cup Final.

    “They played really tight and they backchecked so hard,” said Tarasenko, as per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s just experience. It was frustrating for me. I wish I could do better. I’m supposed to do better.”

    After a 40-goal regular season, the 24-year-old Tarasenko’s point production through the first two rounds — versus Chicago and Dallas — was solid, with 13 points in 14 games.

    But the Sharks kept him in check.

    His lack of production became a key focal point as the third-round series carried on. Blues’ coach Ken Hitchcock, who signed a one-year extension to stay in St. Louis, admitted Tarasenko was “learning hard lessons” against the Sharks and that he had to fight through the tight checking in order to produce offensively.

    As the series continued, Hitchcock added that Tarasenko just needed to play within the system, and that getting away from that is perhaps a “natural tendency” for young players pressing to make things happen in crucial situations.

    There had been talk about a rift between Tarasenko and Hitchcock, especially after video replays showed the two in a brief but heated exchange at the bench during the first round. Of course, the coach later downplayed it.

    As the Blues’ playoff run ended, there was speculation about why, exactly, Tarasenko didn’t address the media on the same day the rest of his teammates did.

    From St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports columnist Ben Frederickson:

    More importantly, Tarasenko’s no comment closed the book on his season without addressing the elephant in the dressing room.

    There is growing speculation of friction between Tarasenko and the Blues. Is there a rift between the star and his club?

    If I’m a member of that front office, I sure would have liked a player under contract until 2023 to squash such a story on Saturday.

    On the subject of any perceived issues between the Blues organization and Tarasenko, both parties responded:

     

     

    The Russians say they’re in ‘negotiations’ with the NHL to get Voynov into the World Cup

    St. Louis Blues v Los Angeles Kings
    Getty
    3 Comments

    Yesterday in Pittsburgh, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made it clear that Slava Voynov was still suspended and, because of that, would not be allowed to play in the upcoming World Cup.

    Bettman also said that the Russian Ice Hockey Federation had been told as much.

    However, it seems the Russians — who last week added Voynov to their World Cup roster — still haven’t given up on trying to get the 26-year-old defensemen into the tournament.

    From Russian News Agency TASS:

    “The Russian Ice Hockey Federation is holding negotiations with the organizers of the World Cup – the NHL – concerning the issue of national team’s defender Vyacheslav Voynov,” the RHF’s press service told TASS on Tuesday adding that besides the Russian and US sides the negotiations also involve Rene Fasel, the president of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

    “The Russian Ice Hockey Federation hopes that the organizers of the international competition will make a positive decision on the issue and the defender will be allowed to be included in the roster of the Russian national team,” the RHF added.

    Known in the United States as Slava Voynov he played in the past for NHL’s Los Angeles Kings before the North American Hockey League suspended him over domestic violence charges and the player returned last autumn back home, where he is currently playing for the national team and KHL’s SKA St. Petersburg club.

    Time will tell if the Russians can convince the NHL to change its stance. They could sure use Voynov, given the relative weakness of their defense. But Bettman did not sound yesterday like he was open to a negotiation.

    The Russians, for the record, have maintained that it’s not the NHL’s decision to make.

    So perhaps that’s the big question here — who has the final say on the matter? Officially, the World Cup “is a joint effort of the NHLPA and the NHL, in cooperation with the International Ice Hockey Federation.”

    It’s just not entirely clear how that bit of boilerplate applies to the Voynov situation.

    Report: Bruins’ Khokhlachev to sign in KHL

    Montreal Canadiens v Boston Bruins
    Getty
    8 Comments

    Alexander Khokhlachev’s time with the Boston Bruins is up, according to a report out of Russia that has the 22-year-old forward signing with SKA Saint Petersburg of the KHL.

    The deal reportedly won’t be announced until after June 30; Khokhlachev is under contract with the B’s until then. But the fact he’s apparently decided to depart for the KHL should come as no surprise.

    A second-round draft pick in 2011, Khokhlachev has spent the last three seasons piling up points in the AHL; however, he’s only appeared in nine NHL games.

    Earlier this month, his agent told CBS Boston, “Alexander did not really get a chance for all the years that he signed a deal, for four years, the deals he signed with Boston, didn’t really get a chance to play in the National Hockey League, so he won’t stay in the organization.”

    SKA acquired Khokhlachev’s KHL rights last summer.

    Related: Khokhlachev just wants a chance

    Jackets not expected to sign Quebec league prospect Pelletier

    PHILADELPHIA, PA - JUNE 28:  Julien Pelletier meets his team after being drafted #107 by the Columbus Blue Jackets on Day Two of the 2014 NHL Draft at the Wells Fargo Center on June 28, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    Julien Pelletier, the QMJHL Sherbrooke forward taken in the fourth round of the ’14 draft, is unlikely to receive an entry-level contract from the Blue Jackets, per the Columbus Dispatch.

    The move would mean Pelletier could re-enter this year’s draft. The Blue Jackets have until Wednesday to decide if they want to sign him, or trade his rights to another team.

    Taken five spots ahead of Viktor Arvidsson — who’s become a nice young player for Nashville — Pelletier had a solid season in Sherbrooke, finishing second on the team in goals (with 27).

    This year, he was in training camp with the Jackets but sent home early.

    Per the Dispatch, the Jackets are also unlikely to sign another ’14 draftee — Olivier Leblanc, who was taken in the seventh round.