IIHF apologizes to Crosby, NHL

Yesterday we covered an
article by IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg
that
blasted Sidney Crosby and a number of other NHL players for declining to
participate in this year’s World Championships in Germany. It was a
scathing article that attacked the players for “forgetting what brought
them riches and fame” and that they have abandoned their countries for
not playing.

As expected, there was some fairly heated response to
the article. Hockey Canada, Gary Bettman and a number of hockey
officials were incensed with the tone of the article, one which
threatened to sour the good feelings between NHL, the players and the
IIHF.

I’m sure that hearing how bad a person you are for not
playing will certain make players want to play next year.

Since
yesterday’s article made the rounds, including a heated retort by Hockey
Canada, the post has since been taken down from IIHF’s website and the
president of Internation Ice Hockey Federation
has personally apologized to Sidney Crosby’s agent:

“I sincerely believe that Rene Fasel was sorry for the inappropriate
comments made towards Sidney and the other players,” Brisson told The
Canadian Press.

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson discussed the issue with Fasel
on Thursday, calling it a “very positive meeting.” He said Fasel
apologized for “the tone” of the article and the way it referred to
Crosby.

Crosby was one player who was singled out by Szemberg, but he was
just one of many attacked by the article. As I stated yesterday, I can
understand the frustrations associated with having so many players
decline to play this summer but this was by far not the right way going
about voicing that displeasure.

That Hockey Canada — the organization that decides who plays for the
national team — never expected Crosby or any other Olympic players to
take part in the World Championships this summer just shows how
different the expectations might have been between the national teams
and the IIHF. Or, at least, Szymon Szemberg.

Scroll Down For:

    Report: Bruins’ Khokhlachev to sign in KHL

    Montreal Canadiens v Boston Bruins
    Getty
    1 Comment

    Alexander Khokhlachev’s time with the Boston Bruins is up, according to a report out of Russia that has the 22-year-old forward signing with SKA Saint Petersburg of the KHL.

    The deal reportedly won’t be announced until after June 30; Khokhlachev is under contract with the B’s until then. But the fact he’s apparently decided to depart for the KHL should come as no surprise.

    A second-round draft pick in 2011, Khokhlachev has spent the last three seasons piling up points in the AHL; however, he’s only appeared in nine NHL games.

    Earlier this month, his agent told CBS Boston, “Alexander did not really get a chance for all the years that he signed a deal, for four years, the deals he signed with Boston, didn’t really get a chance to play in the National Hockey League, so he won’t stay in the organization.”

    SKA acquired Khokhlachev’s KHL rights last summer.

    Related: Khokhlachev just wants a chance

    Jackets not expected to sign Quebec league prospect Pelletier

    PHILADELPHIA, PA - JUNE 28:  Julien Pelletier meets his team after being drafted #107 by the Columbus Blue Jackets on Day Two of the 2014 NHL Draft at the Wells Fargo Center on June 28, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    Julien Pelletier, the QMJHL Sherbrooke forward taken in the fourth round of the ’14 draft, is unlikely to receive an entry-level contract from the Blue Jackets, per the Columbus Dispatch.

    The move would mean Pelletier could re-enter this year’s draft. The Blue Jackets have until Wednesday to decide if they want to sign him, or trade his rights to another team.

    Taken five spots ahead of Viktor Arvidsson — who’s become a nice young player for Nashville — Pelletier had a solid season in Sherbrooke, finishing second on the team in goals (with 27).

    This year, he was in training camp with the Jackets but sent home early.

    Per the Dispatch, the Jackets are also unlikely to sign another ’14 draftee — Olivier Leblanc, who was taken in the seventh round.

    ‘Invigorated’ Hitch signs for one final year in St. Louis

    SAN JOSE, CA - MAY 21:  Ken Hitchcock of the St. Louis Blues walks on the ice in game four of the Western Conference Finals against the San Jose Sharks during the 2016 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at SAP Center on May 21, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
    Getty
    1 Comment

    Ken Hitchcock is taking one last shot at winning a Stanley Cup with the St. Louis Blues.

    The club announced today a one-year contract extension for the 64-year-old head coach. Hitchcock then confirmed during a press conference that 2016-17 will be his final year. He plans to retire from coaching once it’s over.

    “I just feel like I’ve got this really good year in me,” Hitchcock said. “This season has invigorated me like no season before.”

    The Blues, of course, made it all the way to the Western Conference Final this year. The previous four postseasons under Hitchcock, they made it to the second round once, then lost three straight times in the first round.

    “This group of players, their dynamic has changed, and it’s really exciting right now,” he said.

    There will be at least one change to the coaching staff. GM Doug Armstrong said today that associate coach Brad Shaw will not be back. The rest of the staff has been offered one-year extensions to match Hitchcock’s.

    Now that the decision has been made on the head coach, Armstrong can turn his full attention to the roster. Getting Jaden Schwartz, a pending restricted free agent, signed to a long-term deal will be his initial focus.

    As for the captain, pending unrestricted free agent David Backes, there’s interest in bringing him back, but the numbers have to make sense. Forwards Troy Brouwer, Steve Ott, Kyle Brodziak and Scottie Upshall are also UFAs.

    On the back end, Kevin Shattenkirk is probably the biggest wild card. He can become unrestricted next summer, and there has been speculation he could be traded this summer. But as of right now, Armstrong expects him to be back.

    Armstrong also said there’s a chance Vladimir Sobotka could return to the Blues next season. Sobotka has spent the last two years in the KHL.

    However the roster looks next season, it will be interesting to see what Hitchcock can get out of it. The Blues got over a big hump in 2016, but they only got halfway to winning it all.

    One thing’s for sure, though, and that’s this:

    Related: Parayko’s ‘memorable’ season has extended into the playoffs

    NHL explains no suspension for Marleau, says he didn’t ‘pick’ Rust’s head

    15 Comments

    PITTSBURGH — Shortly after reports surfaced that San Jose’s Patrick Marleau wouldn’t face supplemental discipline for his hit on Pittsburgh’s Bryan Rust in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, the NHL’s Department of Player Safety issued a series of tweets explaining their decision.

    Following last night’s game, Marleau said he didn’t think he’d be suspended for the hit, explaining that he “kind of let [Rust] skate into me.”

    “I just tried to keep everything down,” Marleau added. “I didn’t want to get too high on him.”

    Marleau’s assessment was in direct contrast with Pittsburgh head coach Mike Sullivan.

    “It’s a blindside hit to the head,” he said. “[Marleau] gets a penalty and I’m sure the league will look at it.”

    As for Rust, Sullivan listed him as day-to-day with an upper-body injury following the contest. The hit knocked Rust out of last night’s game, and the Penguins haven’t began their off-day practice yet.

    More to follow…