The dream already seemed to fade away, but it’s now official: Jaromir Jagr will not play in the NHL during the 2010-11 season. The 38-year-old winger signed a one-year contract to remain in the KHL as a member of Avangard Omsk. TSN had a few quotes from Jagr on the negotiations and his once-again murky future with the NHL.
Jagr told the media at a press conference that he hadn’t negotiated with anybody other than Avangard Omsk and said he didn’t want to get into a bidding war for his services.
“I prefer when there is only one offer, sometimes it is better,” Jagr said. “I got used to both the city and the team [and] this was the most important,” he added.
Asked if he would consider playing in the NHL once the contract expired, Jagr said wasn’t sure if any teams would be interested.
“Next year I will be 39; I don’t believe many clubs would like to have me [on their] team. One has to be realistic,” he said.
Count me among one of those fools who hopes he returns for a swan song season. Watching Jaromir Jagr skate around with his frequently noted mullet in those goofy futuristic Penguins jerseys was one of the defining joys of my sports childhood. Even if he’s not the force of nature he once was, there’s little doubt in my mind that he was a viable NHL player in his final season with the New York Rangers.
Then again, it’s always sad to see a once-great player’s skill deteriorate before your eyes, so maybe it’s better if Jagr stays overseas.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.