Hawks focused on knocking Luongo off his game

Luongo1.jpgWith the Canucks taking on the Blackhawks for the second year in a
row in the playoffs, everyone became excited about the prospect of
seeing some more fireworks between the two teams after what went on last
year. These are two teams that are close to forming one of the more
abrasive rivalries in hockey, and at the nucleus of their hatred is the
constant battle between Roberto Luongo and anyone who comes close to the
Vancouver crease.

After Game 1, perhaps the Hawks should worry
less about how they’re ticking off Luongo and focus more on stopping the
Vancouver offense. Of course, that doesn’t seem to be their plan. Talking
with NHL.com,
Chicago forward Adam Burish makes it sound as if the
Hawks will be trying even harder to get Luongo off his game.

“Maybe it’s running him sometimes,” said Burish. “Maybe it’s spraying
snow in his face.”

“I think he was kind of in a zone,” Burish said of Luongo’s 36-save
performance in Game 1. “He made a couple early saves and he got in that
groove. But that’s the kind of guy he is. He gets in these grooves and
he gets feeling good and he’s awfully tough to beat. Sometimes you have
to find a way to get to him. You have to find a way to rattle him …
You got to try to find a way to get him out of that rhythm.”

refused to the comments, obviously content to let his performance speak
for itself. While it’s certainly true that the Hawks need to do
whatever it takes to try and knock Luongo out of his comfort level in
net, I didn’t exactly walk away from Game 1 thinking that if only the
Hawks had run into Luongo a few more times they really might have had a
better chance.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.