As expected, Dan Hamhuis wasn’t exactly enthralled with the NHL’s
decision not to suspend Marian Hossa,
telling ESPNChicago.com that the NHL should focus on the hit itself
and not on any other factors:
“I just personally think it was a little bit light,” Hamhius said on
Monday. “It was a dangerous play, and my injuries and his prior past
shouldn’t have anything to do with it. It doesn’t change the action.”
“It was very similar [to the Ovechkin hit],” Hamhuis said. “There
were some minor differences about the play, but in both cases it’s a
very dangerous place to be hit. And in both cases me and Brian Campbell
weren’t expecting it.”
I’m still not a believer that both hit’s were exactly the same, but
it’s semantics at this point. Ovechkin’s was a full shove, while Hossa’s
reach-out push was the factor that sent Hamhuis flying into the boards.
That being said, I’m all with Hamhuis on this one. I could have told
you Hossa wouldn’t be suspended. After all, Hamhuis escaped injury. If
he had suffered a concussion, we’d be discussing a possible game
suspension today. This is why standardized punishments are warranted now
more than ever.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.