It’s only fair that a team that was beset by injuries all year long comes away with the top pick in the draft and that’s exactly what happened as the Edmonton Oilers came away the winners of the NHL Draft lottery. There were no surprises as everything held to form for the lottery and the Boston Bruins were the main benefactor of that landing the second overall pick courtesy of Toronto and the Phil Kessel trade.
The top of the 2010 NHL Draft in Los Angeles will look like this:
2. Boston (via Toronto)
5. New York Islanders
6. Tampa Bay
10. New York Rangers
13. Phoenix (via Calgary)
14. St. Louis
The beauty of the draft is that it now boils down to a huge debate on what the Oilers will do with their pick and if what Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press says is true, the Bruins may not be done dealing yet.
Doesn’t sound like Steve Tambellini will think seriously about trading No. 1 pick. Peter Chiarelli says he’ll try to move up.
This would lead you to believe that Peter Chiarelli isn’t a big fan of letting the Oilers and their wacky ways dictating who he can select at #2, and who can blame him? It also could mean that Chiarelli already has his guy in mind and doesn’t like fate getting in the way. If you’re curious about who could land where, outside of Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall your guess is as good as mine. If you need a hit list, the NHL has your hookup with the Central Scouting Bureau.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.