Stars host Finnish goaltender Jussi Rynnas

Last summer, the Stars held out hope that Swedish free agent Jonas
Gustavsson would choose to come to Dallas and be Marty Turco’s backup.
With Turco in the last year of his contract, it was entirely likely that
Gustavsson would have the chance to earn the starter’s sport for the
2010-11 season. He would ultimately choose Toronto, leaving the Stars out in the cold.

Now, the Dallas Stars are beginning a
walk down the same road, although I’m willing to bet they’ll tread a bit
more carefully this time around. Finnish goaltending free agent Jussi
Rynnas was in town on Thursday night, as he visited with team officials,
the coaches and Finnish legend Jere Lehtinen.
From Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:

was really a typical recruiting visit,” said Les Jackson,
the Stars director of scouting and player development. “We wanted to
let him know what we had to offer, and just show him how we operate.”

situation is a bit different with Rynnas than it was with Gustavsson,
as there is no pressure to promise him significant NHL minutes right
away; he’s reportedly open to spending some time in the AHL adjusting to
North American hockey.

The Stars were burned by Gustavsson’s
indecision last year (or, their stubbornness to believe he would
actually choose Dallas), and with Kari Lehtonen staking his claim on the
starter’s position for next season, there isn’t as much pressure on the
Stars to get Rynnas.

Yet the backup position is still up in the
air, and having two 6-5, mobile Finnish goaltenders on the roster would
make an G.M. drool.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
Leave a comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. For one thing, Torres is a repeat offender who once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.