USA Hockey names its 2010 under-18 team

Hockey fans enjoyed some fantastic international hockey in the last year, with the United States producing fantastic results in the Vancouver Olympics as well as a thrilling gold medal performance in the World Junior Championships. For those who would like even more patriotic puck drops, United States hockey announced the 2010 U.S. Men’s National Under-18 Team today.

USA Hockey today announced the 22-player roster for its 2010 U.S. Men’s National Under-18 Team that will compete at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Men’s Under-18 Championship April 13-23 in Minsk and Bobruisk, Belarus.

Highlighting the roster are five returnees from the U.S. Men’s National Under-18 Team that captured the gold medal at the 2009 IIHF World Men’s Under-18 Championship in Fargo, N.D., and Moorhead, Minn. Goaltender Jack Campbell (Port Huron, Mich.), who was named to the media all-star team at last year’s event, will return between the pipes. Defensemen Adam Clendening (Niagara Falls, N.Y.) and Jon Merrill (Brighton, Mich.), and forwards Matthew Nieto (Long Beach, Calif.) and Jason Zucker (Las Vegas, Nev.) will also be competing in their second IIHF World Men’s Under-18 Championship.

In addition, Campbell and Zucker were also part of the U.S. National Junior Team that won the gold medal at the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship in Regina and Saskatoon, Sask., in January.

It’s a bit unfortunate for fans of junior talent that the tournament will start on Thursday, April 8 because that happens to be the same day as the Frozen Four games. Still, there’s no denying that the two events will provide great fun for fans of pre-NHL talent.

Perhaps the U.S. can maintain its red-hot international hockey winning streak?

(The full roster can be found here.)

Scroll Down For:

    Malkin to miss third straight game with lower-body injury

    Evgeni Malkin
    AP
    Leave a comment

    Evgeni Malkin‘s “nagging” lower-body injury will keep him out at least one more game.

    Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said this morning that the star center will sit out tonight at home against the Ducks. Malkin already missed two contests this weekend in Florida. His status is day-to-day.

    The Penguins lost, 6-3, in Tampa on Friday, but rebounded Saturday with a 3-2 OT win over the Panthers.

    Pittsburgh’s next game after tonight’s is Wednesday at home versus the Rangers.

    McDonagh out with concussion after Saturday’s altercation with Simmonds

    Ryan McDonagh
    Getty
    4 Comments

    The New York Rangers will be without Ryan McDonagh tonight at home to New Jersey, the club announcing this morning that the defenseman is out with a concussion.

    McDonagh left Saturday’s game in Philadelphia following an altercation with the Flyers’ Wayne Simmonds that ended with McDonagh taking a punch to the face from Simmonds.

    Simmonds received a match penalty and was thrown out of the game, but did not receive any supplemental discipline.

    Given the standings, the Rangers can ill afford to lose McDonagh for long. They play in Pittsburgh Wednesday, followed by three home games against Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

    standings

    Lucic’s plan is to ‘remain a King’ for remainder of career

    Milan Lucic, Alex Burrows, Dan Hamhuis
    AP
    2 Comments

    Tuesday night, Milan Lucic will play his first game in Boston as a member of the Los Angeles Kings.

    It should be an emotional return for the big 27-year-old winger. In an interview with the L.A. Times, he recalled his time with his former club fondly, saying how great it was to be a “part of one of the best-ever eras to be a Bruin.”

    A pending unrestricted free agent, Lucic also commented on his contract negotiations with the Kings.

    “Nothing to get excited about,” he said. “There’s been two or three little talks here and there. My plan is to remain a King and hopefully finish off my career here. Like I said, I go day by day and you never know what tomorrow is going to bring.”

    Lucic has 12 goals and 18 assists in 50 games this season. Though the Kings reportedly want to keep him, the question is whether they can find the cap space to make it happen.

    Los Angeles already has Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Marian Gaborik, Kyle Clifford, Drew Doughty, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, and Jonathan Quick locked up long term. Plus, Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson will require new deals after next season.

    Related: Why Lucic is an interesting pending UFA

    Despres, Perron return to Pittsburgh for the first time since being traded to Anaheim

    FILE - In this Sept. 22, 2015, file photo, Anaheim Ducks defenseman Simon Despres skates before an NHL preseason hockey game against the Colorado Avalanche in Denver. Despres has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Ducks on Friday, Oct. 9, 2015, solidifying his role in Anaheim after joining the club in a trade last season. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey, File)
    Associated Press
    5 Comments

    Simon Despres and David Perron will return to Pittsburgh for the first time since they were shipped to Anaheim via trade.

    Monday’s tilt at the Consol Engery Center will be special for both individuals.

    Despres was traded to Anaheim for Ben Lovejoy last March, while Perron was sent to the Ducks earlier this season.

    Both players may have had some good times in Pittsburgh, but in both instances, things didn’t end up the way they had envisioned.

    “I don’t want to talk about that,” Perron said of things not working out in Pittsburgh, per the Post-Gazette. “I made some great relationships. Some really good friends.

    “The only thing, it didn’t work. That’s what what [general manager] Jim Rutherford and I and [head coach] Mike Sullivan talked when the trade happened. I wish it would have been different but that’s the way it goes sometimes. It didn’t click as good as you wanted it to be. I’m happy I got a new start and it’s going well.”

    The 27-year-old played 86 games over two seasons with the Penguins, and he managed to score just 16 goals and 38 points during that span.

    Things have been a lot better for him since the move to Anaheim. Perron has three goals, five assists and a plus-7 rating in his first seven games as a Duck.

    As for Despres, things haven’t been as smooth since his departure from the Penguins.

    The 24-year-old played well in the final month of the season last year, but he missed 42 games in 2015-16 because of a concussion he suffered near the beginning of the season.

    He’s been a welcomed addition to the lineup. Anaheim hasn’t lost since Despres returned to the lineup on Jan. 26.

    “He hasn’t gotten any points but we haven’t lost since he’s been back,” Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said, via the Post-Gazette. “We missed him for sure. In the playoffs last year, he was as good of a defenseman as we had. Big and strong and played against big opposition and he didn’t tire. The more games he gets, the better he’s going to get.”

    The defenseman spent most of his adult life in the Penguins organization and he admits that’s something he’ll never forget.

    “I guarantee that I’ll be a little bit emotional for the game [tonight],” said Despres. “Spent a lot of years here. A lot of memories and good friends. A lot of friends in Pittsburgh.”