Thornton not embarrassed by Lucic's fight

In last night’s Toronto and Boston game, a couple of heavy hitters took part is what I considered a fairly spirited fight. The Bruins’ Milan Lucic and the Leafs’ Colton Orr squared off, in about as equal a fight as you could hope for, size-wise.

The fight was a lengthy and if you would choose a winner, it would obviously be Orr. He landed a number of big shots, but Lucic stayed with it for a long time. He took some hard shots early but fought back; there was nothing about the fight that screamed ‘turtle!’ or anything like that, just the fact that Orr is clearly a better fighter.

On the very next faceoff, the Bruins’ big fighter took on Wayne Primeau. It’s just the nature of the game, it was exciting at that. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with anything that happened between the two fights.

Well, Don Cherry did.

“Thornton was embarrassed by this fight
coming up.
He was embarrassed. If you
don’t want to fight then don’t fight, but you can’t quit,” said Cherry.
“And that’s exactly what [Lucic] did. That’s the trouble with the
Bruins. You don’t hit. You don’t win fights. If you’re gonna get in a
fight then you go.

“Lucic is a good hockey
player, but if you’re
going to fight – you don’t quit. Look at him he’s looking at the
linesman to come on in. You don’t tell him to come on in [and break up
the fight]. You go out on your shield. If you’re going to get in a fight
and then you hide behind a linesman. That’s a disgrace if you’re the
Boston Bruins as far as I’m concerned.”

Well,
that’s certainly his opinion. If you watch the fight you can certainly
see Lucic back off a bit towards the end as if signaling the fight was
over. But this wasn’t an example of him taking a few shots and then
backing off; it was a lengthy fight and both he and Orr got some good
shots in before the linesmen stepped in.

Of course, Thornton
doesn’t feel it was a bad fight and he’s certainly not embarrassed.

“I thought it was necessary after their tough guy went
with Looch.” said Thornton. “I figured I’d answer the bell. It was a
good fight. I don’t know if it was necessary or not, but I just wanted
to show that we wouldn’t be pushed around.

“[Lucic/Orr]
was a
good fight. If they wanted to stop it they would have. They were still
swinging and there wasn’t any real damage being done. It was a good
fight. Punched each other in the head a couple of times and when they
came apart I think the refs did a good job of getting in there.”

Scroll Down For:

    Shaw suspended three preseason games for boarding Connor Hobbs

    TAMPA, FL - JUNE 02:  Andrew Shaw #65 of the Chicago Blackhawks speaks during Media Day for the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final at Amalie Arena on June 2, 2015 in Tampa, Florida.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    1 Comment

    The National Hockey League has suspended Montreal Canadiens forward Andrew Shaw for three preseason games for boarding defenseman Connor Hobbs of the Washington Capitals in an exhibition game Tuesday.

    Shaw was given a major penalty and a game misconduct on the play, as he slammed Hobbs “through the numbers, with speed” from behind into the end glass, as per Thursday’s video from the NHL outlining the suspension.

    From the video: “It is important to note that Hobbs is never eligible to be checked by Shaw on this play. From the moment Shaw arrives at the faceoff dot, he sees nothing but Hobbs’ numbers. Hobbs makes no sudden movement just prior to contact that turns this hit from a legal hit into an illegal one.

    “The onus is on Shaw to ensure that he can deliver this hit in a legal fashion, minimize the force, or avoid this hit completely. Instead, he hits forcefully through Hobbs from behind, driving him dangerously into the glass.”

    In a bid to land a gritty forward to their lineup, the Habs acquired Shaw from the Blackhawks, who had been dealing with a cap crunch, during the NHL Draft. He later signed a six-year contract extension with Montreal.

    Despite another concussion, Clarke MacArthur doesn’t plan on retiring

    OTTAWA, ON - APRIL 26:  Clarke MacArthur #16 of the Ottawa Senators looks on prior to a face-off in Game Six of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Montreal Canadiens during the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Canadian Tire Centre on April 26, 2015 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Montreal Canadiens eliminated the Ottawa Senators by defeating them 2-0 and move to the next round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. (Photo by Minas Panagiotakis/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Leave a comment

    Clarke MacArthur suffered yet another concussion after being hit by Patrick Sieloff during a scrimmage over the weekend, but the veteran Ottawa Senators forward doesn’t plan on retiring.

    Last season, the 31-year-old MacArthur played in only four games for the Senators due to concussions. According to the Ottawa Sun, he suffered four concussions in an 18th-month span.

    Despite this latest concussion, MacArthur is still, at least publicly, planning to work toward a return to game action, saying in a post on Instagram that he was “encouraged” by how his body has reacted following this most recent incident.

    “First off, I want to thank the team and its fans for all the support after the unfortunate incident on Sunday. To me, it was simply a hockey play that ended in a hit causing me to suffer a concussion, a play that could happen at any point,” MacArthur wrote on his social media page.

    “We have been encouraged by how my body had reacted in the days since the injury and the team has been great to give me all the time I need to rest and recover. I will continue to consult with doctors and my entire support group, but I felt it important to let everyone know that my intentions are to work towards returning to the ice soon.”

    Related:

    Senators focus on MacArthur’s safety

    Schwartz (hand) suffers scare at Blues practice, but Hitch says ‘he’ll be fine’

    St. Louis Blues left wing Jaden Schwartz celebrates after scoring during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Florida Panthers, Friday, Feb. 12, 2016, in Sunrise, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)
    AP
    Leave a comment

    You couldn’t blame the Blues for freaking out a bit today when Jaden Schwartz left practice after an apparent hand injury, and didn’t return.

    It was last October, of course, when Schwartz fractured his ankle during practice, an injury that required surgery and sidelined him for 49 games.

    Thankfully for St. Louis, it won’t be deja vu.

    From the Post-Dispatch:

    Coach Ken Hitchcock said Schwartz was fine but would miss some practice.

    “He’ll need a couple days off, but he’s a lot like Fabbri,” Hitchcock said. “He’s probably not going to skate this weekend in any of the games but he’ll be ready to go next weekend.

    “He’s day to day. He’ll be fine.”

    Signed to a five-year, $26.75 million extension this summer, Schwartz will be a big piece of the Blues moving forward.

    He’s coming off a good playoff run — 14 points in 20 games — and the club is hopeful he can build on the goalscoring form shown in ’13-14 (25 tallies) and ’14-15 (a career-high 28).

     

    Kucherov won’t report to Bolts until he’s signed

    TAMPA, FL - APRIL 16: Nikita Kucherov #86 of the Tampa Bay Lightning is checked by Danny DeKeyser #65 of the Detroit Red Wings in front of Petr Mrazek #34 in Game One of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Amalie Arena on April 16, 2015 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Mike Carlson/Getty Images)
    Getty
    1 Comment

    Nikita Kucherov will not report to Tampa Bay Lightning training camp until he’s signed. The 23-year-old winger is not currently under contract, though as a restricted free agent he is partially under club control.

    From the Tampa Bay Times, which confirmed through GM Steve Yzerman that Kucherov would not be reporting:

    Kucherov, the team’s leading scorer last season, could warrant $6 million or more annually. And that makes it difficult for the Lightning, which has between $5-5.5 million of cap space remaining, per CapFriendly.com. It begs the question whether Tampa Bay may need to make another move to create room. With the season opening two weeks from today, no deal appears imminent.

    Yzerman said earlier in the month that he can get Kucherov signed without making a trade, but as mentioned, no deal has been reached yet.

    Kucherov is one of a handful of high-profile RFAs who remain unsigned as the regular season approaches. The others are Johnny Gaudreau, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jacob Trouba, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rakell, and Tobias Rieder, the latter of whom requested a trade yesterday.

    Trouba has also requested a trade.

    Related: Ristolainen, still without a contract, makes ‘good will’ gesture towards Sabres